cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor Wireless VoIP

jcowtan
Level 1
Level 1

Has any one designed / implemented an outdoor Wireless VoIP solution. I have a parking lot to cover ~ 1 million sq ft.

I have seen that MESH is not supported (yet). Options?

At a high estimate level, what is the practical coverage I should expect for each AP? And what would be a pratical antenna? I am think a 6 dbi is more pratical than the standard 2 dbi.

I am concerned that the current lamp posts are spaced 100 to 150 feet apart and that may be too far to provide overlaps and redundancy.

1 Reply 1

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

That is a big ass parking lot brother...

Some more info is needed such as is the main backbone going to only be in one location or will you have multiple sites to bridge from.

Generally I have set up a bridges at the main location to link to not root sites which have a crossover cable in them to an AP which provides coverage.

You will need the radio line of site as well as power at the remote locations.

since it is a parking lot there will be issues such as multipath to overcome. Since it is Canada, there will be weatherproofing issues to deal with as well.

You will need to perform a very thourough site survey to determine the power settings and antennas you will need. Don't pick out the gear first and try to shoehorn it into your situation.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card