cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Switch

abhyankar
Level 1
Level 1

Any comment about this product? I saw some negetive reply at several forums for this product. I am in puzzle wether to buy this switch or to go for 2960 series which is quite expensive but reliable. I never heard of Catalyst 500 switch.

8 Replies 8

jain.nitin
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, Product is good but for Small Office Home Office users only. no command line only GUI... so not usefull in multi vlan environment.. So choice is urs..

If it helps please do rate it.

Bur GUI interface of this switch is too slow as what i read in forums. Is that true? And it malfunctions sometimes if not configured full/half duplex .. Any detailed info about this ? You tried this Switch before?

Hey I worked on these swiches & I installed atleast 25 switches did not face any problem. See it depends where r u going to use these switches in which environment. for SOHO it wud b gud not best.

& also depend on ur budget. it is low cost switch but I didnt face any prob with this switch.

Please do rate it.

Ninja

Hi,

We use these internally, the 12 port GB model as a core switch and the 24-TTs as access switches.

Only a flat 160 ish device network, but have no problems.

The 24-TTs compare favorably with the 3Com 4400-SEs that are also used.

No VLans implements, but they are planned.

The GUI is quite nice, intuative and gives a lot more access (nobs to tweek) than the 3Coms.

Regards

Anthony

I wonder if this switch is suitable in a environment where I have approx 90 user's. And I will buy 24 port 3 nos of Catalyst 500 switch. So considering uplinking and traffic, those switches will work smooth?

I am worried about conjugation and other issues like heating. 3COM base line switches over heats. 1 of my 3COM switch started making noise. Probably heat sink fan which is located at back panel is not working probably. I guess bearing is about to get damaged. Anyway.

I still can't decide. I haven't seen any good

scenario's at Cisco's web site. I guess due to the cheap price, they wont make any advertise of this Switch..Ha !!

I have two of the 500 express switches at one of my sites (not by choice). I don't like them! No CLI, all GUI based and it's SLOW! Not good for extended commands. I would stay away from them. I would go with the 2960's. Configuring one of the 500 express switches generaly takes much longer to configure than the CLI switches.

Spend the XTRA $$$ on CLI based switches.

^^ I agree, from my experience I would never buy a 500 express. Used one for digital video network, ports would shut off for no apparent reason, if I recall the error was something about too much traffic was being sent or something.

l-pacheco
Level 1
Level 1

Not one Ciscos better products. Someone in our company got caught up with the price and failed to look at the over all picture. The first thing that they did wrong was go with an all GUI admin of the box and droped the CLI. When configuring the unit remotely once a local person put an IP on the unit it took over two minutes to just login, then a minute to move between screens.

Pay the extra money and go with the 2960 model.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: