Views
Helpful
Replies

hostname o AP being displayed as clients hostname in association list of AP

ajithtr2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a AIR-AP1230B-E-K9 running 12.3(8)JA2. when one of my clients who has not configured any hostname on his laptop connects to the AP using the inbuilt wireless card, it can be seen that the clients hostname (in the association list of the users) on the AP is same as the APs hostname. There is no dot11 extensions aironet enabled on the dot11radio interface. is this a normal behaviour, or is this some sort of a bug on the IOS.

3 Replies 3

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

No. This is not a normal behaviuor. Normally the clients name will be the one which is configured on the ADU when a client profile is created. By default I think it will take the PCs name. If this is the same as the APs hostname, thats the reason you are seeing this.

Well the strange thing is that the user has not configured any computer name on his computer (not sure how he managed to do that). and he is using inbuilt wireless card. (which doesnot require him to put a client name when he configures the SSID).

On non-Cisco cards, it falls under the Cisco extensions to pass this information along to the AP. Read, this problem does not fall on Cisco but on the manufacturer of your WNIC. In my case i saw it in the newer Intel cards, such as the 3945.

During my own testing i saw no effects on the traffic it was passing nor the traffic around it. Intel is working on fixing it in an upcoming driver release.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card