Views
Helpful
Replies

OIDs to Monitor In/Out Bits Per Sec?

stephenshaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to setup a new MRTG NMS to monitor In & Out Bps on various Cisco routers. I have found two OIDs for this:

locIfInBitsSec 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.6

locIfOutBitsSec 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.8

My question is, since Cisco have indicated this is an "old" MIB, provided the NMS has up-to-date MIBs will it recognize these OIDs or must I load in the specific "old" MIB following the specific ordering by Cisco?

Thanks,

Steve

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to load the OLD-CISCO-INTERFACES-MIB into MRTG to have it recognize these objects. However, these objects are deprecated; and while they should work, there may be bugs. You should instead consider using the ifInOctets and ifOutOctets objects from the IF-MIB, and do the conversion to bits by multiplying by eight.

Additionally, if the interfaces in which you are interested are high-speed interfaces, you may find these bit counters roll over too quickly. If you then switch to using the ifHCInOctets and ifHCOutOctets from the IF-MIB (ifXTable). These are 64-bit counters, and will provide more accurate measurements for high-speed interfaces.

Hi,

thanks for your response. I knew there had to be some sort of work around for a more updated MIB.

Steve