Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade Lihgtweight AP 1242

yytellmey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

My Lightweight APs 1242 version is 12.3(7)JX. I am going to upgrade them to 12.3(11)JX. How can I do it?

Thanks,

Justin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Justin,

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question. When a Lightweight AP is connected to the WLC it has the same Version as the WLC. For example if the WLC is running 4.0.155.1 the AP is running 4.0.155.1. If you upgrade the WLC to a new version the AP's are upgraded at the same time. There is no need to do anything with the recovery image.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Justin,

Here is the upgrade method and relevant notes;

Cisco IOS Release 12.3(11)JX provides support for the lightweight access point protocol (LWAPP) for 1100, 1130, 1200, 1230, 1240, and 1300 series access points. When you use the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode upgrade tool to upgrade one of these access points to this release, the access point communicates with a Cisco wireless LAN controller and receives a full LWAPP configuration and software image from the controller. This release also functions as a recovery image if the access point fails to receive a full image from the controller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note This release must only be loaded onto access points at the factory or by using the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode upgrade tool. Your access point might become inoperable if you install this software without using the upgrade tool.

Upgrading to this Software Release

For instructions on using the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode upgrade tool to install this software, refer to Upgrading Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points to Lightweight Mode at this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference_list.html

These are the main steps in the autonomous to lightweight mode upgrade:

1. Prepare your network infrastructure so that converted access points can connect to a wireless LAN controller after the upgrade.

2. Find the Autonomous to Lightweight Mode upgrade tool and Cisco IOS release 12.3(11)JX at the Software Center on Cisco.com. Click this link to browse to the Cisco IOS Software Center:

http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/sw-ios.shtml

In the menu on the left, click Wireless Software and log into Cisco.com to view the Cisco Wireless Software Display Tables.

3. Make sure that the access points that you want to upgrade to LWAPP mode are running Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or later.

4. Prepare the wireless LAN controller for the upgrade.

5. Use the upgrade tool to upgrade the access points.

Refer to Upgrading Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points to Lightweight Mode for detailed instructions.

Reverting from Lightweight Mode to Autonomous Mode

After you use the upgrade tool to load Cisco IOS release 12.3(11)JX on an access point, you can convert the access point from a lightweight unit back to an autonomous unit by loading a Cisco IOS release that supports autonomous mode (for example, Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_release_note09186a00806e8971.html#wp23144

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Do you mean there is no method to upgrade a Lightweight AP1242 12.3(7)JX to Lightweight 12.3(11)JX directly. I should transfer the Lightweight AP1242 from 12.3(7)JX to Autonomous 12.3(7)JA, and then upgrade the Autonomous 12.3(7)JA to Lightweight 12.3(11)JX. Is it right?

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question. When a Lightweight AP is connected to the WLC it has the same Version as the WLC. For example if the WLC is running 4.0.155.1 the AP is running 4.0.155.1. If you upgrade the WLC to a new version the AP's are upgraded at the same time. There is no need to do anything with the recovery image.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Justin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card