cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balanced links with VOIP

andy
Level 1
Level 1

Could someone help me please, I have two 30mb ethernet WAN links that I would like to load balance dependant on the utilization of each link. They are terminated each end on a fast ethernet port in a cisco 2811, and in different buildings on the two sites. The two 2811's in each site are connected together with fibre on a gigabit ehternet wic (these have had bandwidth 3000 applied to the interface). Each of the 2811's have the second fast ethernet port connected to our cisco 4506 root switches in each site. The core switches are running HSRP, with static routes to the 2811 gateways. I have set up EIGRP on the 2811's on the networks that connect each of the routers together, I have also added static routes on the routers and redistributed in EIGRP. I have been advised not to load balance per packet, as I have VOIP traffic going over the links. I have 250 client workstations on the remote site that need to access servers across the links, I also have database servers that have replication taking place. I would like to take full advantage of the bandwith I have by load balancing.

The current config I have does not seem to take into account the utilization of the links.

router eigrp 1

network x.x.x.x

network x.x.x.x

redistribute static

variance 2

traffic-share balanced

If needed I can post the config and diagram later, I just would like to know if I am following the right path.

Many Thanks

Andy H

2 Replies 2

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

As such load balancing, yes.

Because EIGRP you can use for both equal and unequal load balacing.

You are on right path.

But where r u facing, problem that is not clear. can say on it?

Also post your diagram.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

We would like to load balance based on link utilisation, We have several hundred clients connecting from site B to site A, we also have VOIP running across the link. I have been advised that per packet load balancing can affect the VOIP traffic. I would like to maybe load balance per packet for the data traffic and have policy based routing for the VOIP traffic. We also have oracle and SQL replication connecting to our DR site and site B. I have tested load balancing in a lab but it doesn't seem to be working correctly. I have attached Diagram and a sample config.

Your help is much appreciated.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card