cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 5509 backplane utilization

brad-denham
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5509 that is showing a peak load on switching bus C of 49%. Is there a recommended maximum threshold to be watched for?

sho sys displays a peak of 32%.

3 Replies 3

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

There can be many reasons peak backplane utilization spikes. Is your current utilization lass than 10%?

Do you have auto-config-backup configured. We had a 65xx that railed when auto backup ran every 30 minutes in text mode.

Here's another help>

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps679/products_tech_note09186a008009495b.shtml

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if its a peak don't worry about it switches will runn 80-90% before you start seeing real problems , look at the averages . Is this strictly a layer 2 switch or does it have a rsm also ?

Glen,

Thank you for the reply. This is strictly a layer 2 switch that is my core and 8 years old (our interVLAN routing is managed on a 3662). I have been unsuccessful with replacing it with a 6509 (mainly due to price), and because this switch has been rock solid and handled our traffic loads.

This past year and a half our company has upgraded a couple of our core business applications and this has resulted in a 50% to 100% increase in network traffic over the past 12 months. We are a newspaper and deal with very large graphics files.

I am looking at a 4510 with a SupV-10GE, 3 ? 10/100/1000 copper cards and 2 ? 6 port fiber GBIC cards. This would handle our needs for 3 to 5 years.

The main reason for my initial question is, I am looking for some ammunition to convince my management to invest in a new core switch. I have all the statistics together about traffic volume increase, how old my existing hardware is, EOS, EOL, new security features, backplane speed and pps comparisons. I am looking for solid information that will be convincing to executive management that we need to move from our existing platform.

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card