need a product recommendation for small network

Unanswered Question
Feb 21st, 2007

Hello All!

I just started a small computer and network consulting company (in addition to my "day job"). I work for a huge company with several hundred sites, all Cisco networking of course. I am also setting up a small network and computer consulting company to do on the side and will be dealing with small companies and helping them with their network needs. Anyway, I am looking for a entry level Cisco product because my Linksys just isn't going to cut it any more. I want to set up 3 servers and I currently have 5 static IP's from Comcast. I want something that would operate like a PIX515 firewall but that would obviously be overkill for what I am doing. I want the capability to set up port forwarding to the inside from my 5 external IP's. Wi-Fi isn't critical but would be a "nice to have" if it didn't cost too much more. What would be a good product for my needs? I want a NICE CISCO product but not an EXPENSIVE one, either. I am also interested in certification and possibly becoming a VAR soon. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--GREG--

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
scheikhnajib Thu, 02/22/2007 - 06:32

Greg,

I would recommend something else ...

* Cisco Express 500 for your switched LAN

* ASA 5505 for your security.

Both are SOHO products, they are relatively cheap, they look nice and they have embedded graphical management.

Good luck with your business.

Cheers.

S.

acomiskey Thu, 02/22/2007 - 10:47

I would steer clear of the 500 express. Since you seem to be new to cisco products, I would use the opportunity and buy what most of your potential customers already have. Get yourself a pix/asa and a 2900 series switch as first poster suggested. If you are interested in certifications, you will need to learn the command line interface. The 500 express will do you no good as it is all gui. This is only my opinion of course. Oh, and did I see not expensive and cisco in the same sentence. :)

Actions

This Discussion