Failed TWICE in CCNA!!

Unanswered Question
Feb 21st, 2007

Hi Pros,

I am trying to be a CCNA since past one year but i am not yet.

I appeared for the exam twice but i failed in both of them.

In first attempt i got 707 and in the second i got 758. I feel quite helpless.

I studied from sybex: CCNA(Todd Lammle) and used some questions from Actualtest.

I also used CCNA prep center from this site.But i was not able to pass.

Please guide me further.

How many number of attempt can i give?

Is there any way from which i can find what i have done wrong in my past two tests??

I find the scenario questions quite tough.

Is there any material from where i can practice them??

Can you suggest me any good book for CCNA

cause in sybex book there is very less information about NAT and layer 2 security.

Sushant Kanikdaley

Mumbai-India

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
hoogen_82 Wed, 02/21/2007 - 23:01

Hi Sushant,

Its really unfortunate that you have failed twice. Well could you post your section details as well, probably could figure out where you went wrong.

Regarding the simulations, i believe you might have nailed it but forgotten things like saving configurations.

Regarding the attempts there is no real limit but ideally i would want you to nail it the third time.

Do post your section breakup of ur exams.

Scenario questions can be solved only if u do spend more time with your routers and switches.

The materials you are using are quite fine.

HTH

Hoogen

ellis_b Thu, 02/22/2007 - 00:00

The CCNA is not an easy test. I see more people fail this exam than fail the CCIE written - seriously! If you look at your score reports they will give you a very vague report of what major topics you may have done poorly on. There are a couple of good Cisco press books along with some other good resources here:

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/detail.asp?st=44711&rl=1

Check out that link.

In a worst-case situation, remember, you can break the CCNA into two seperate tests if you want to. (vs. just taking a single test).

A couple of pointers:

1) know your seven layers

2) know and understand subnetting

ttyl

brad

sushk2121 Thu, 02/22/2007 - 04:28

Thank you brad.

I saw the link which you gave and i have never seen that site.

I might go for CCNA official study guide.

Is "Cisco CCNA Network Simulator" useful?

I use routersim network visualizer.

ahmednaas Thu, 02/22/2007 - 02:45

Look on the bright side. Since you took the test twice you know a lot about this test. Take advantage of that knowledge to make the third attempt a success. here is my advice to you:

- From the past experiece evaluate your weak points.

- You say you have trouble with simulations. Did you have a chance to practise some labs on real hardware?

- If you do not have access to real hardware try to get a copy of Cisco's Packet Tracer 4 simulator. It is more than adequate for CCNA.

- For the subjects you think you need more help in, use cisco.com to get information.

As for book recommendations, take a look at the cisco press CCNA material. You can find info about these books on ciscopress.com, including sample chapters.

Looking forward to read a success message from you soon.

sushk2121 Thu, 02/22/2007 - 04:38

Thank you ahmednaas for your reply.

My weak point is troubleshooting. I never had chance to have practice on real hardware. I like this field very much and i am trying it be a CCNA so that i can join a Networking Firm and have a hands on experience.Hehe!!

Can i get a job at this level??

Should I post my resume on job sites and mention about my CCNA attempts??

carchbold Fri, 02/23/2007 - 19:54

Hi Sushant, I failed my CCNA 4 times and was about to give up before I passed. It can be done. Hang in there. It going to feel GREAT when you do pass and you will. I recommend you take it in 2 parts. Focus on the intro, pass that part, then focus on the ICND. It may be a little harder that way but at least you have a smaller portion to focus on. Good luck and hang in there, DON't QUIT!!!!!!!!

sushk2121 Fri, 02/23/2007 - 22:02

Man, you are so so PRO now!!!

I wont quit man cause i am ignoring my engineering for CCNA. I got 2 KTs last year preparing for this.

Its what i like and its what my future is!!

There is no way i am quiting. The only problem is money. Bust i got so much good friends that they are willing to help me.

Thank you man!! I thought i am the only one who failed twice.

glengregory Sat, 02/24/2007 - 23:33

Hi Sushant,

Prepare for the Exam the right way!

In my opinion, there is no substitute for HANDS-ON practice (read practice, practice, practice...) with REAL Cisco gear! Reason being, it is impossible for you to forget the "experience" when you are hands-on. Your own brain will refuse to forget, even if you want to.

4 years back I took the CCNA with a score of 1000. The ONLY reason being I refused to give the Exam until I had practised all the different scenarios in my mind to understand the content better. I asked a lot of unconventional questions like What if... I wanted to gain the crucial knowledge to do the best job, not pass the exam. Even if I had to fail, it did not matter as I had understood the content of the course objectives very well.

Why don't you join a good institute? If you are in mumbai, there are so many of them at very cheap rates. There you can work on real equipment, can get expert guidance from a good instructor, and can interact, bounce ideas with so many fellow students. It is impossible for you to fail.

Even if you are short of money, take a loan, get help from friends. This is a crucial time when you are learning network fundamentals. Don't compromise.

Use the Sybex study guide in addition to the Cisco press book, which will fill you in on the details and give you a well-rounded view of the subject matter.

I too am in mumbai. So, if you need any help please e-mail me.

Regards & best of luck.

Glen

sushk2121 Sun, 02/25/2007 - 04:20

Thank you for your reply Glen.

I am currently in BE final year and as you have told me to join the classes, i did one last year.But it was not upto the mark.So i am thinking about what to do now!!

+EDIT+

Can i have your Email ID?

Actions

This Discussion