Views
Helpful
Replies

lie to EIGRP

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

HI EXPERT's!

if we have a link(300M) runing on interface 1 GIG;can we lie to the Interface and declare the Bandwidth as 1048576 as well as lie to EIGRP also?if so;it will work without any problems?

10xs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Wether this works "without any problems" depends on your requirements. The link will get a metric smaller than the actual bandwidth. Any 2 Mbit line would be used instead because of the better metric.

So it depends on your requirements and topology.

Also be aware, that "bandwidth" is also used in QoS policies. Therefore I would recommend to use the real 300 Mbps as interface bandwidth and modify delay (the second EIGRP metric value in use per default) to make the route less preferable.

Configuration example:

R1(config)#interface FastEthernet0/0

R1(config-if)#delay ?

<1-16777215> Throughput delay (tens of microseconds)

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, i think this okay.

use the bandwidth command in the interface mode.

Regards

Abd Alqader

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Wether this works "without any problems" depends on your requirements. The link will get a metric smaller than the actual bandwidth. Any 2 Mbit line would be used instead because of the better metric.

So it depends on your requirements and topology.

Also be aware, that "bandwidth" is also used in QoS policies. Therefore I would recommend to use the real 300 Mbps as interface bandwidth and modify delay (the second EIGRP metric value in use per default) to make the route less preferable.

Configuration example:

R1(config)#interface FastEthernet0/0

R1(config-if)#delay ?

<1-16777215> Throughput delay (tens of microseconds)

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

HI Martin!

10XS FOR UR GREAT EXPLANATION.

REGARDS

ALI

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card