Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP session monitoring.

graham smart
Level 1
Level 1

Morning boys & girls.

Im looking to monitor all my BGP sessions across the network (200+ devices)

I will be doing this via a perl script hopefully, However i dont wish the script to telnet to each device for the info.

I want this via SNMP , Does anyone here now of the values i want to look for ( to see what sessions are showing as down ).

Idealy id like it to report via e-mail of the device in question and what bgp session is showing as down.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or maybe know of something that may already do this?

Regards

Graham

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Got a website? Need some live chat software?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I understand your question and how much detail you expect to monitor from BGP session but there are available utilities that can monitor routing session. I have used Cricket-1.0.5 http://cricket.sourceforge.net/ to monitor BGP session successfully via SNMP.

It will give you a sample summary below plus a nice graphical presentation daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly. Take note that it can be customized:

Summary

Values at last update:

number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes (for the day):

Cur: 799 number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes

Avg: 798 number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes

Max: 805 number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes

Last updated at Thu Feb 22 13:22:00 2007

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I understand your question and how much detail you expect to monitor from BGP session but there are available utilities that can monitor routing session. I have used Cricket-1.0.5 http://cricket.sourceforge.net/ to monitor BGP session successfully via SNMP.

It will give you a sample summary below plus a nice graphical presentation daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly. Take note that it can be customized:

Summary

Values at last update:

number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes (for the day):

Cur: 799 number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes

Avg: 798 number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes

Max: 805 number of active IPv6 unicast BGP routes

Last updated at Thu Feb 22 13:22:00 2007

Thanks, Ill take a look.

Cheers

G

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Got a website? Need some live chat software?