Views
Helpful
Replies

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links

girigeek5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We recently connected a new E3 Link of 8Mbps on to our 2800 series router. We added 4 port FE on this router. The link is through. When I try to assign IP address I am getting following error.

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links

How to fix up this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Girish

The additional information that you provide is helpful. I am still puzzled how you connect an E3 on a FastEthernet interface. I assume that the FastEthernet is connected to some device that is translating between E3 and Ethernet transports. If so that helps explain what is going on. As long as the FastEthernet on your router is receiving link (from whatever it is connected to) it will maintain the interface as UP. It does not matter what is happening on the other end of the connection, if the interface has link it will be UP.

If you are concerned to know whether there is a failure at the other end of the connection then I believe that you should look into the Enhanced Object Tracking feature. This link should have information to help you get started with this:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/sr.pl?q=enhanced%20object%20tracking&res=1&uid=&country=US&language=en&siteToSearch=cisco.com&filter=p&c_u=/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541be.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I feel you are trying to configure ESW module installed in your Cisco 2800 router..

You wont be able to configured ip address on the ethernet port on this particular module.

You can terminate the same on the built in ethernet port available in the router..

regds

girigeek5
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible for me to create a Vlan and bind that to the FE ? If it is possible, then How do I come to know whether the link is down or up ?

I tried with bringing down the link on my peer location, but on the primary location, the interface(both FE and Vlan) shows, UP.

Girish

I do not understand something about your post. The first sentence asks if you can create a VLAN and the second sentence says that the VLAN shows up, which seems to indicate that you have already created it. Perhaps you can clarify?

I am also not clear about the environment when you say that you brought down the link at your peer location. Perhaps you can explain some detail of how things are connected and this would help us to give you better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

We have got 2800 series router with 6 Serial Interface, 2 Gig Ethernets and 4 Fast Ethernet cards installed. All the 3 serial cards have been occupied with 6x2Mbps link. One Gig is used for Wireless Connectivity of 2Mbps and One Gig for local switch for accessing the router. 4 Fast Ethernet card was recently introduced to this router and we connected on E3 link of 8Mbps to it.

The link between two locations is perfect as per the service provider. We started to assign IP address and try to check the connectivity and during this time I got an error message of the same.

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

At this stage, I googled and found out that I need to create a vlan on the router and bind the same to FE with "switchport access vlan1". I did this also and found my link was working.

But now I have got a concern. Let me assume that the link goes down at one end. How do I come to know whether link is up or down ? For this I tried, by removing ethernet cable on the other location and saw in my router that Both FE and VLAN was up but on the other side FE was completely down where as VLAN has Line Protocol Down.

This is the scenario where I am struck.

Hope this gives you a clear picture and can give me better answers.

Girish.

Girish

The additional information that you provide is helpful. I am still puzzled how you connect an E3 on a FastEthernet interface. I assume that the FastEthernet is connected to some device that is translating between E3 and Ethernet transports. If so that helps explain what is going on. As long as the FastEthernet on your router is receiving link (from whatever it is connected to) it will maintain the interface as UP. It does not matter what is happening on the other end of the connection, if the interface has link it will be UP.

If you are concerned to know whether there is a failure at the other end of the connection then I believe that you should look into the Enhanced Object Tracking feature. This link should have information to help you get started with this:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/sr.pl?q=enhanced%20object%20tracking&res=1&uid=&country=US&language=en&siteToSearch=cisco.com&filter=p&c_u=/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541be.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi girish,

Yes it is possible to create bridge, create a vlan 'XX'. And assign vlan XX to bridge, bind FE to the bridge group.

regarding your second line please give some more dtls. We created similar scenario, when client / link is removed we are getting FE down status and vlan is always up.

Regards

S.Shantharam

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

I had a similar problem, when we added 4 port FE to 3745. Later, we created a L3 VLAN & assigned the interface to the vlan. This sorted out the issue.

I've just recently encountered this problem, and the solution was a one-liner in the interface-configuration mode:

(config)# int fa2/0

(config-if)# no switchport

(config-if)# ip address ....

Some cards don't support this, some do. I just find this a cleaner solution than using VLAN interfaces bound to particular ports.

YMMV

- bec

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card