Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN and DHCP with WLC controller

Hi,

I've a question about how works dhcp for wifi clients.

On the WLAN edit I've seen that my option are:

1) DHCP override-> i insert the dhcp server address here

2) without DHCP override -> the WLAN will use the DHCP server configured under the management interface

Based upon these informations: why I can configure DHCP server also in other interfaces and not only in the "management" interface ?

If I configure 2 DHCP servers on a "user interface" ( without the "override" option in WLAN ) my clients will use these DHCP or the DHCP on the "management" interface ?

Many thanks in advance

Luigi

5 Replies 5

akobwaycct
Level 1
Level 1

if u choose DHCP overide then it means you are using an external DHCP server.For each interface you can have the WLC to act as the DHCP server.So clients will get ip addresses from the DHCP server address specified.

so if u want to create a dhcp server for each interface you can do that...its possible.

am not sure if this help you.

Hi,

many thanks for the quick response.

My question is:

Supposing the DHCP server was external ( for exmple 10.10.10.1 ); what's the difference between:

a) configuring that address in WLAN parameters ( on the "override" field )

b) in the "Interface" related to the wifi user ?

Regards

Luigi

if the ip address is configured in the override field it means that the wifi user gets their ip address from the WLC ..that means the WLC is now the DHCP server. but if you choose the required box then your user gets their IP addresses from the external DHCP server.

from the on-line help it seems different ;-/

=====

DHCP Server (Override)

When selected, you can enter the IP address of your DHCP server. This is a required field for some WLAN configurations. There are three valid configurations:

DHCP Server Override ON, a valid DHCP Server IP address, and DHCP Address Assignment Required: Requires all WLAN clients to obtain an IP address from the DHCP Server.

DHCP Server Override ON, a valid DHCP Server IP address, and DHCP Address Assignment Not Required: Allows all WLAN clients to obtain an IP address from the DHCP Server or use a static IP address.

DHCP Server Override OFF: Forces all WLAN clients to use the DHCP setting in the Management Interface, not the static address.

===========

It seems that i can Use external DHCP server, putting the address :

- in the box that appair when i flag the "override" option

- or in the management interface

I think documentation is not so clean

many thanks

Luigi

If you use DHCP override, the wireless client will get an IP address from the DHCP server specified, without DHCP override it will get an IP address from the DHCP server(s) specified on the interface associated with the WLAN. (assuming DHCP required is ticked)

The only difference is that you can only specify 1 DHCP server using DHCP override, where as on the interface, you can specify 2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card