cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast Storm Control- 2950 or 3550

sjonessha
Level 1
Level 1

I seem to be getting multi-cast and uni-cast traffic floods to my customers. All have a public static IP address and need a way to limit it. I've been told that I can do this with the 2950 or 3550 but only with the enhanced image. Can someon set me straight? Can it be limited with PPS or port block?

6 Replies 6

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi can you tell me again.. what you have written it is not at all clear

1) in first line... to or from customer??

Command are:

1)To block Unicast::

go into interface configuration mode:

switchport block unicast

2) To do Storm Control Broadcast include multicast.

Command:

storm-control broadcast include multicast

For more information look link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_31s/cmdref/snmp_vtp.htm#wp1114663

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

I am a small wireless ISP and sometimes I get traffic floods originating from the outside of the network. I give my customers public static IPs. I didn't know if the basic 2950 and 3550 would do broadcast storm control. I am going to purchase one of these switches to do the job. I have been told that it will take the Enhanced Image to do this. Any thoughts?

Hello Jones,

I dont think you will need Enhanced Image for Storm control features. You can do it with a standard image.... Have a look at the following URL:

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_data_sheet09186a00801cfb71.html

search for "storm" and you will see the desired result...

You can also use the software advisor tool on CCO to get the right IOS for the features you need :)

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

That sounds good. I have one last question relating to storm control. Does it stop all traffic when the threshold is hit in the port? If I have several customers in that particular port, but only one causing the problem, will they all be shut off completely until the storm subsides?

Hello Jones,

Yes ..it stops all traffic.. it only sees the total broadcast received on a port and not for each customer... you should be very careful when u enable it in a point to multipoint scenario... do let us know if you need any more info on this.

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Maybe what I need is something that shapes the traffic and prioritizes. Would the 2950 or 3550e help in this way. I know they have Qos.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card