Views
Helpful
Replies

Mini-RMON not working with LMS 2.6 and 4507R

poulid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to use mini-rmon on our core 4507R, and when I select the port I wish to monitor and press enable, I get the following message:

Failed to Enable Statistics Collection !

Cause

Could be due to one of the following reasons

1.) Lack of access to the host

2.) Invalid SNMP credentials

3.) Device is busy in handling SNMP queries.

4.) This feature might not be supported by the SNMP Agent.

I ran a device credential verification job against the switch, and all snmpv2, as well as the telnet and enable tests passed. Also, I can change the 'location' and 'contact' information on the device from the setup page of CiscoView, so I know the credentials are good.

Is there something I am missing? The IOS version on the switch is 12.2(25)EWA.

Action

Verify access, SNMP credentials or increasing timeout value through the preferences option. Also, please check the User Guide for Release Notes

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Start a sniffer trace on the LMS server filtering on UDP port 161 traffic to this switch. Then reproduce the problem. The resulting trace should indicate what error the switch is sending to the SNMP SET.

Thanks, I'll fire the sniffer up and have a look. Before that though, I noticed that when I do a show run on the switch, there is no engineID under the snmp section. It looks as follows:

logging x.x.x.x

!

!

snmp-server community xxxxxx RO

snmp-server community xxxxxx RW

snmp-server location ServerRoom

snmp-server contact xxxxxxx

snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart

snmp-server enable traps tty

snmp-server enable traps vtp

snmp-server enable traps vlancreate

snmp-server enable traps vlandelete

snmp-server enable traps stpx

snmp-server enable traps rf

snmp-server enable traps port-security

snmp-server enable traps config

snmp-server enable traps entity

snmp-server enable traps cpu threshold

snmp-server enable traps copy-config

snmp-server enable traps fru-ctrl

snmp-server enable traps flash insertion removal

snmp-server enable traps syslog

snmp-server enable traps bridge

snmp-server enable traps envmon

snmp-server enable traps hsrp

snmp-server enable traps bgp

snmp-server enable traps ospf state-change

snmp-server enable traps ospf errors

snmp-server enable traps ospf retransmit

snmp-server enable traps ospf lsa

snmp-server enable traps ospf cisco-specific state-change

snmp-server enable traps ospf cisco-specific errors

snmp-server enable traps ospf cisco-specific retransmit

snmp-server enable traps ospf cisco-specific lsa

snmp-server enable traps pim neighbor-change rp-mapping-change invalid-pim-message

snmp-server enable traps ipmulticast

snmp-server enable traps msdp

snmp-server enable traps rtr

snmp-server enable traps vlan-membership

Shouldn't there be an engineID by default, and could this be causing the problem?

It depends on the version of IOS. If the engineID was truly deleted, no SNMP operations would work on the device. You said earlier that you are able to perform other GETs and SETs. You can do a show snmp engine to see the engineID.

Just thought I would send an update in case anyone had the same problem. It turns out that the problem is being caused by a bug in the IOS (12.2(25)). Here is the message from TAC:

"I have received an update from the CiscoView developer and it seems that the problem is on the IOS side. It seems that you are hitting a bug that does not allow miniRMON to create entries in the SNMP tables required, which causes your error messages."

He asked me to tell you to upgrade your 4507 to IOS 12.2(31)SGA or

higher version and try the miniRMON again. Please let me know if this

helps to fix the problem."

What was the bug ID you received?

TAC did not give me one. Maybe it's a new one?

That's why I asked. I could not find one. TAC definitely should have given you an ID, new bug or not. Since they asked you to upgrade, that would make me think it was a known, resolved bug. What is the SR number?

SR605472477

The bug you are hitting is CSCef19969. It states that one is unable to create entries in the RMON etherStatsTable via SNMP. You will need to upgrade to 12.2(31)SG or later to get the fix for this bug.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco