cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

migration from exchange 2k to exchange 2003 as well as AD 2k to 2003

tinachhabra
Level 1
Level 1

We have unity in failover configuration with voice messaging only.We plan to go from exchange 2k to 2003 as well as AD 2k to 2003.Can somebody suggest a migration path?

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just did one also.

Install a new windows 2003 server

dcpromo it

transfer the FSMO roles to it

Follow Exchange 2003 in place upgrade. (schema upgrade, etc)

Unity didnt seem to mind this was all going on. The permissions stay the same in do an in place upgrade. Depending on your Unity version, the AD attributes do not change. Still use the same.

Worst case, a permissions wizards is needed, but should be fine without it though.

My case, I had existing w2k domain/e2k. New site going in was going to be windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. To make things right, I installed a new DC 2003, promo it, transferred the roles, then install Exchange 2003, and upgraded the rest of the domain.

Make backups, pull a drive in each server and go. Should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks...so,you backed up AD,installed AD 2003 on this server and then restored it from backup after doing promo and transferring FSMO rules.You must have backed up exchange 2k and then installed exchange 2003 and then restored it from backup and upgraded the domain.Is this the case?

Sorry, let me clarify.

This is personal prefereance and more MS AD design. I installed a new Windows 2003 server into the existing W2k domain. Then I DC promo the server. After reboot and replication, I transferred the FSMO roles from the W2k to the Windows 2003 box. Once that is done, my domain is now a "windows 2003 domain"

I can now install Exchange 2003. YOu have two choices, an in place upgrade or install a new server and migrate your mailboxes to the new server, rerun Permissions in Unity so it sees the new E2003 server OR... do an inplace Exchange upgrade. Basically pop in the Exchange 2k server and let it rip.

This is more of a Microsoft process to follow, for me, I used the new 2003 DC as my new server. It helps in Large unity deployments or many subscriber for AD replication, etc.