cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fixed vs. non-fixed

matt_heff
Level 1
Level 1

Building on a previous post regarding managed vs. unmanaged, what does it mean when a switch has a fixed configuration, like the 2950? Do I have to use the web-based management interface and set up a cluster, or can I just treat it like any other L2 switch and use the CLI? Also, with the 2950, how can I separate the mgmt vlan from the the data vlan? Do I just make the second vlan and give the SVI to that vlan instead of vlan1?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Hi,

1. Fixed configuration means the switch isn't a modular switch and the hardware configuration isn't changeable.

2. You should be able to use the CLI to set it up. This link should guide you with that process;

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00801cd6d4.html#1007241

3. You can use any vlan (id) for management vlan and do not assign any users to that vlan. Yes, create an SVI for the management vlan on the layer 2 switches. You probably know that layer 2 switches can only have one active SVI and that's solely used for management traffic only.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card