cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750ME Rate Limiting

charlestran
Level 1
Level 1

As a service providers we using Cisco 3750ME and 3750 Series to provide Layer 2 and Layer 3 network access with different rate from 6Mb to 100Mb bandwidth for their different needs.

Customers who need 100Mb or less will connect to 100Mb, Full Duplex Ethernet port.

As access provider, we want to be able to provide a simple RATE LIMITING at a given port to match their paid bandwidth needs.

If customer needs internet service we simply using OSPF or BGP routing protocol.

If customers need interconnect between multiple sites, we simply provides QinQ L2 service.

Greatly appreciate !!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello charles,

I think this is the only way of doing it.. you do not have rate-limit commands on the 3750 switches.. I think the new range of 3750-E switches might have it.. check the datasheet to find this out... if you have rate-limit commands included, then you can use the COmmitted-Access-Rate technologies to police the traffic , as you do it on routers !!!!

Raj

View solution in original post

Charles,

I was searching through the rate-limit support on 3750-E switches and this is what the datasheet has to say:

Q. Is port rate limiting supported?

A. Yes, port rate limiting is supported from 1 percent to 99 percent of the given port's speed.

but again, when i went to the config guide, it does not give me any rate-limit commands.. it just gives the priority/class maps to do rate-limiting... so, no luck.. no rate-limiting commands on 3750-E switches too...

Yep.. it could look easy for them to include, but normally not :) :) but on a special case, they can give you an interim IOS, which can have the feature, but you gotta order some huge no of switches for that, say atleast 1000 :) ha ha.. best thing would be to contact your local cisco pre-sales and ask them for the roadmap..

Raj

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello charles,

You can create classmaps/policy maps for the ingress interface of the 3750/ME switch and apply policing there... example config:

access-list 1 permit 10.1.0.0 0.0.255.255

!

class-map customer1

match access-group 1

!

policy-map customer1

class customer1

police 256000 32000 exceed-action drop

interface Fa1/0/1

service-policy input customer1

If you want to do egress queueing, you need to use the MLS QOS commands and rate limit the bandwidth on the 3750 !!!

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

Raj;

Your policy input is very helpful and practical solution. Our engineers currently implement your recommendation.

I'm looking for an approach to accomplish a simple task with bandwidth limit. Is there a better way?

If customer connects to fa1/0/1 100Mb Full Duplex. I want to be able to provision for 6 Mb and done with it.

Hello charles,

I think this is the only way of doing it.. you do not have rate-limit commands on the 3750 switches.. I think the new range of 3750-E switches might have it.. check the datasheet to find this out... if you have rate-limit commands included, then you can use the COmmitted-Access-Rate technologies to police the traffic , as you do it on routers !!!!

Raj

Excellent...Rate-Limit is what I am looking for but could not find any useful information on Cisco 3750ME and 3750 Series switches. Can we ask genius at Cisco to implement a simple "rate-limit" command? It will simplify network configuration and improve productivity.

Charles,

I was searching through the rate-limit support on 3750-E switches and this is what the datasheet has to say:

Q. Is port rate limiting supported?

A. Yes, port rate limiting is supported from 1 percent to 99 percent of the given port's speed.

but again, when i went to the config guide, it does not give me any rate-limit commands.. it just gives the priority/class maps to do rate-limiting... so, no luck.. no rate-limiting commands on 3750-E switches too...

Yep.. it could look easy for them to include, but normally not :) :) but on a special case, they can give you an interim IOS, which can have the feature, but you gotta order some huge no of switches for that, say atleast 1000 :) ha ha.. best thing would be to contact your local cisco pre-sales and ask them for the roadmap..

Raj

Raj;

I downloaded Cisco 3750ME Swtich Software Configuration and Command Reference with a latest revision.

After a long research, the closet I found on page 32-89: Limiting the Egress Bandwidth on Queue Set.

I don't find a simple Port Rating Limiting. Getting close and need to validate my finding.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card