cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NM-16ESW and a HWIC-9ESW in the same 2811 why doesn't it work?

dmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2811 router and no space for equipment. I put a NM-16ESW switch module in it and it worked great. Later I needed POE for a number of devices, so I installed an HWIC-D-9ESW-POE card with a new power supply. Now I can connect on any device on the HWIC but not the NM-16ESW.

It's all the same VLAN, but I can't even ping the VLAN interface from a device connect to the NM-16ESW. Plug it into the HWIC and the device can ping up a storm.

Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you connect the 2 switches together with a external cat 5 cable , you must tie them together if you want them as a single switch.

Configuring Intrachassis Stacking

Perform this task to extend Layer 2 switching in the router by connecting the Gigabit Ethernet ports of the EtherSwitch network module.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. enable

2. configure terminal

3. interface gigabitethernet slot/port

4. switchport stacking-partner interface gigabit slot/port

5. exit

DETAILED STEPS

Command or Action

Purpose

Step 1

enable

Example:

Router> enable

Enables privileged EXEC mode.

?Enter your password if prompted.

Step 2

configure terminal

Example:

Router# configure terminal

Enters global configuration mode.

Step 3

interface gigabitethernet slot/port

Example:

Router(config)# interface gigabitethernet 2/0

Selects the Gigabit Ethernet interface to configure.

Step 4

switchport stacking-partner interface gigabitethernet slot/port

Example:

Router(config-if)# switchport stacking-link interface gigabitethernet 3/0

Creates the intrachassis stacking between the current Gigabit Ethernet (GE) interface and the stacking link partner GE interface.

?In this example, GE interface 2/0 is stacked on GE interface 3/0 to form an extended VLAN within one chassis on the router.

Step 5

exit

Example:

Router(config-if)# exit

Exits interface configuration mode and returns the router to global configuration mode.

?Repeat this command to exit global configuration mode and return to privileged EXEC mode.

Agree with Glen.. this is the best way of doing this ....

Thanks for the info glen..

Raj

I have not tried this, neither of the modules have a Gig port I assume that putting a cable in a FastE port will work.

A question comes to mind would the cat5 between the switches need to be a cross over cable?

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello murphy,

are u not able to ping between the end stations connected on these cards ?? is the local communication within the modules working ?? You basically need to give a layer 3 vlan IP address for you to enable access between the cards.. this is a router module and hence the router has to know how to forward the packets to the end stations..

do let us know in detail..

Raj

I'm seem to be able to ping devices on the 16 port module or the 9 port module. The Nine port see the router and everything the router sees. But something connected to the 16 port module see nother outside of that module, not even the router it's in.

Hello,

Unfortunately you need a gig uplink port on each of the cards for it to work.

The following FAQ describes it in detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2643/products_qanda_item09186a00802c9e7a.shtml#qa12

"An intrachassis stack requires a Gigabit Ethernet interface on each module. You must connect the modules externally with the Gigabit Ethernet interfaces and a crossover cable."

The 16-port EtherSwitch NM can accept a single-port Gigabit Ethernet daughtercard.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Cisco TAC - LAN Switching

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card