cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to a switch with Windows Vista and no serial port

washishimi
Level 1
Level 1

Is this possible with a Cisco 2900 or 6500 series?? What do I need to acheive this? I have an HP laptop running vista and only USB ports. Thanks!

6 Replies 6

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

To connect switch console port, you must have to required COM port on your PC.

IF your laptop has no COM port, please purchase USB to COMPORT conver... connect with it console cable and access to switch.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Thanks! What about Hyper Terminal. It is not part of Vista. Any suggestions for a free solution?

Caveat Emptor. The USBtoSerial might not work on Vista due to lack of drivers. Test before you buy.

You can download a free copy of Hyperterminal from http://www.hilgraeve.com. Will it work on Vista? If you try it, let us know.

Finally, I remember seeing a bluetooth gizmo on the web that would let you use bluetooth to access the console on Cisco devices.

I searched the web for the bluetooth device you mentioned and I came up with this:

http://www.blueconsole.com/

Looks great. Think I'll get one.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi,

Hyperterminal comes with windows free of charge.

If your Operating system has no Hyper terminal... Please you can update from windowd vista CD by going into Add/remove componenets --->

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

washishimi
Level 1
Level 1

Just to update everyone:

Using my new HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, a keyspan USA-19HS USB High Speed Serial Adaptor (with the vista beta drivers available on their website), and a free download of hyper terminal private edition from the hilgraeve.com site, I was able to log into cisco switches and configure with no issues just as if I was on my old Dell laptop.

Thanks everyone!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card