Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN Problem on Windows File sharing

eabonalla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Im using 3750 L3 switch and 2950 L2 Switch. I've configured 12 VLANs and configured inter-VLAN. But there has been a problem with file sharing on windows. I can ping the machine on different VLANs and i can also run some application like remote desktop connections. But file sharing is failing. Pls help. thanks

27 Replies 27

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

That is not Inter Vlan problem.

It is problem with widows file sharing.

Wich operating systems are you using?

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

sorry i forgot to mention than inside the same VLAN file sharing works fine. it is just when on different VLAN that file sharing fails. we are using windows xp with SP2. thanks

Are all hosts windows xp sp2?

What are the protocols and client installed and activated? i.e. Netbeui, File and printing sharing for microsoft network, client for microsoft networks.

clients for microsoft networks

file and printer sharing for microsoft network

qos for packet sheduler

and internet protocol(tcp/ip)

Hi Estelito.

When you use files sharing you use name or ip address for that please verify by this procedure

** ip address **

\\ip address of a pc on another vlan which you want to do share

work???

** Name **

\\name of pc on another vlan which you want to do share

if it work I think your dns can solve this name.

If not please verify your dns.

In case of same vlan I think It may be solve the name by net-bios.

HTH

i have a good DNS and even installed WINS. i can resolve names or vice versa.

\\ip address or \\name

it will always give me an error:

"The network path was not found"

but i can ping by either ip address or name.

and i can also run some applications. thanks

Do you have ACL on interface vlans?

If you have you can do permit TCP 445 for verifing this problem.

HTH

i didnt put acl. ive also forced every computer to open port 445 just in case. but nothing works. im thinking, could it be ARP problem or reverse ARP problem?

@eabonalla wrote:

i have a good DNS and even installed WINS. i can resolve names or vice versa.

\\ip address or \\name

it will always give me an error:

"The network path was not found"

but i can ping by either ip address or name.

and i can also run some applications. thanks

Check by telnet the IP on port  445 whether its open or not this can cause 

Can you post your L3 switch config (remove confidential information like username/password, change the first and second octet of public ip address to xxx.yyy)

I suspect you have ACL that blocks file sharing ports UDP 137, 138 and TCP 445, 139 between vlans kabayan :)

If not, try this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

i've done everything i knew. starting from computers, opened port 445 or disabled every firewall on PC. i've done simple file sharing to a more complicated one. installed additional protocols.

ive already upgraded every single switch i can put my hands on. reviewed and researched every aspect of routing and VLANs and VTP. maybe im missing out something.

anyway this is am attaching the running config of my L3 switch.

thanks.

What is host 10.1.1.6 a router or firewall?

For troubleshooting purposes, what are the IP Addresses of two hosts that you are trying to communicate through file sharing? Just give us two hosts and their actual IP Addresses.

Are these two hosts able to ping each other using their netbios name (computer name)?

Have you tried this troubleshooting from Microsoft ? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007

the two acl PEZA and PEZA_all is for routing my users to two different Internet Service Provider. 192.168.1.1 and 10.1.1.6 are my routers to internet. i just selected who goes to what ISP.

10.1.2.18 and 10.1.7.4

which if im not mistaken is PC from VLAN101 to PC from VLAN111.

by the way, before i configured those policy based routing, its already my problem.

thanks

filesharing between computers within same VLAN works fine. i can ping computers from different VLANS using IP Address, name, and name.domain.com.

i've also followed lots of steps and troubleshooting techniques from support.microsoft.com.

nothings work.

im thinking now. could it be an ARP or RARP error? maybe tables from L2 routing is messed up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card