cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS connection

seunalamu
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem of using MDS 9506 to connect two NetApp filers (within the same fabric)in order for replication to be done with Snapmirror.Having assined IP address to the FCNIC card on the filers,I couldn't ping accross.I also have a multiprotocol servies module installed on one of the switches.How do I go about this?

6 Replies 6

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So, if you issue a show flogi database, do you see the devices logged in? Next issue show zoneset active and see if they are zoned together. You are trying to do IP over fibre channel, right? Or are you trying to do IP over ethernet?

show flogi database shows the devices logged in.

I have not zoned them together.Do I need to do this?

I am trying to do IP over fibre channel

Yes, you need to zone them to have them see each other and they need to be in the same vsan

Does it mean that I don't need to configure the multiprotocol module since am not replicating across fabric.

No, nothing on the IPS blade since this is IP over FC. The mgmt port is for managing the switch with telnet, SSH, or the fabric manager. Fibre channel, as a transport protocol, can carry many upper-layer protocols within it like IP or scsi or ficon. IP like fibre channel can carry upper layer protocols such as fibre channel or web or ftp,etc. So, the gig ports on the MDS are for putting the SAN/IP over IP infrastrucutre or ISCSI. You indicated you wanted to put IP over the SAN/FC which, to the switch, is just plain fibre channel switching.

Thanks. I've done the zoning and it works.I've been able to ping across filers.