ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO UNIFIED APPLICATION ENVIRONMENT

Unanswered Question
Feb 23rd, 2007

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Seth Call how the new Cisco Unified Application Environment can bring powerful IP telephony capabilities to all developers. Seth is a manager of software development in the development team for the Cisco Unified Application Environment. He focuses on customer-related aspects of the CUAE, such as documentation, developer training, developer support, and product support.

Remember to use the rating system to let Seth know if you have received an adequate response.

Seth might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through March 9, 2007. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
rkmohapatro Tue, 02/27/2007 - 14:02

Hi, I need a help to create vpn in my cisco 1841 series router. My IOS version is below:

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.3(8)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Please send me an email to me in decribing cli commands to create vpn.

my email id is : [email protected]

Thanks and Regards

thomas.chen Wed, 02/28/2007 - 13:47

Hi Seth,

I really don't know what Cisco Unified Application environment is. Can you just give me a quick overview?

Thanks,

Tom

secall Wed, 02/28/2007 - 19:12

Hi Thomas,

The CUAE is a development platform for the creation, deployment, management, and execution of VOIP applications.

Specifically, the Cisco Unified Application Designer (CUAD), is a visual programming tool which gives developers a way to quickly harness Cisco CallManager-related APIs and capabilities, such as SIP, H.323, SCCP, CTI, AXL, and Extension Mobility. You can also incorporate into your application standard backend datastores, using LDAP, SQL, and Web Services.

As it relates to the folks who frequent this forum, the purpose of the CUAE is to take away all of the complexity and mystery associated with these APIs, so that developers can rapidly build powerful applications without having to be experts in a particular VOIP protocol. (Anyone who's had to write JTAPI or use AXL-SOAP should be happy to hear that!)

Our goal with the product is to make it truly the only tool one would need to build any sort of VOIP application in the CallManager environment. To make this a reality, our platform has to (and does) support all the protocols mentioned above, and also supports all sorts of media streaming-related features. It's straightforward to conference, transcode, text-to-speech, play wav files, speech rec, and record the media streams of calls made or received by the CUAE.

Also built into the platform is the ability to extend the core feature set by our extension system. One uses .NET today to expose entirely new features into the Application Designer, so that they can be used in your applications.

One of our highest priorities before our next release (May 31) is to provide substantial, comprehensive documentation for developers interested in using the platform. It is our goal to make our software as free and easily obtainable as possible for development purposes.

On that note, our next release will allow you to freely download the CUAE in it's entirety (for development purposes, of course!) Clearly, having good documentation is key to making developers such as yourselves successful if and when you decide to try your hand at the platform... today though, publicly available documentation is lacking.

Application Designer general info link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7056/index.html

Seth Call

msabir Mon, 03/05/2007 - 11:36

Where can I get CUAE? I logged in to the link listed in this thread and couldn't find a download for CUAE. I have access to downlaod about everything from Cisco's web site except CUAE and I have asked about a dozen people and no one knows where to get it. Good job Cisco.

msabir Mon, 03/05/2007 - 12:41

Broken links, no pricing information, no evaluation copy, no screenshots, etc. This is not 1.0, but a 2.4 product but it seems like a web site for an open source 0.5 product.

secall Tue, 03/06/2007 - 21:28

The criticism here is well-founded. I won't make excuses or add explanation for the lack of availability of the CUAE. I'll attempt to clarify how things are today, and how they will change in 2.4. (we are currently at 2.3.1).

The designer itself can be downloaded if you have a Developer Support contract. If so, you should be able to navigate to the designer using the procedural information available at the end of this post.

We want this to be easier than that, however. When the 2.4 release ships (at the end of May), you will be able to freely download not only the Application Designer, but also the Application Server and Media Engine server components, so that you can quickly deploy your CUAE development environment.

The server-side components will auto-license themselves to a small amount, but sufficient enough such that you will be able to immediately build applications with the CUAE to prove or disprove the platform for yourself.

The 2.4 release also marks the release in which documentation first becomes publically available, and also when we will make available a CCM 6.0 VMWare image at a low cost. (building CUAE applications without a CallManager does not typically make sense, so this effort is an attempt to to make setting up the entire voice infrastructure easier).

We want you, the developer, to be able to quickly download, install, configure, and self-educate on the CUAE environment. There are holes that make us miss this goal today, but we are doing all that we can to make it a reality by 2.4.

Please, feel free to post any questions or comments regarding this matter.

How to get the Designer today:

1) http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/svcs/ps3034/ps5408/ps5418/serv_home.html

2) Click Getting Started

3) Access the Developer Supported Products

4) Log in Now!

5) Choose Cisco Unified Application Environment from the dropdown.

6) Download the 2.3.1 Cisco Unified Application Designer.

7) The documentation issue remains: however, you can find two basic primer guides on this site as well. The documentation needed for the CUAE does of course extend well beyond this and we fully intend to remedy this as soon as possible.

Seth

msabir Thu, 03/08/2007 - 09:18

Finally, I am able to figure out where CUAE is posted on Cisco's web site. After clicking on about a dozen pages, some how I got to CUAE 2.3.1 download page.

In this thread, Seth from Cisco mentioned that 2.4 will have VMWare image of CCM 6. Can we get VMWare for CCM 5 and CCM 4.x? So that we can start "playing" with CUAE 2.3.1 instead of waiting until May -- that is if its released in time :)

live4voip Tue, 03/06/2007 - 09:45

hi, i am new to Cisco. Is any callback service available in CUAE or other Cisco system?

We are using SM 2000, which does have callback server as a module. Is the Cisco having the similar module or system? if yes, please let me know the name of system as well as the requirement for it.

Thanks in advance.

secall Tue, 03/06/2007 - 21:31

Hi there,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by callback service--can you describe how this feature behaves from an end-user's perspective or provide a link to a description of the service you are referring to?

Seth

bbaley Wed, 03/07/2007 - 09:13

Seth,

What kind of apps can you build on the CUAE? Can you build IP Phone services?

Thanks,

Bill

secall Thu, 03/08/2007 - 07:30

Hi Bill,

IP Phone service interaction is all completely doable via the CUAE. Building menus, directories, text objects, pngs, and all the other IP Phone objects, is accounted for.

It's designed such that you just focus on the important content of the XML object being sent (the title, prompt, softkey items, etc), but such that you don't have to know XML or the structure of the XML objects being sent. That level of detail has been abstracted away from the developer.

Seth

anujnaidu Wed, 03/07/2007 - 15:19

Hi there,

Has anyone deployed an External MOH Service in a CCM IPT Environment, other than runnig it on the CCM itself or Local routers.

Thanks in advance.

msabir Thu, 03/08/2007 - 09:19

Finally, I am able to figure out where CUAE is posted on Cisco's web site. After clicking on about a dozen pages, some how I got to CUAE 2.3.1 download page.

In this thread, Seth from Cisco mentioned that 2.4 will have VMWare image of CCM 6. Can we get VMWare for CCM 5 and CCM 4.x? So that we can start "playing" with CUAE 2.3.1 instead of waiting until May -- that is if its released in time :)

secall Thu, 03/08/2007 - 09:35

Just so it's clear msabir,

The 2.3.1 download is only the Application Designer. So, yes you could download it and mock build applications, but without the Application Server and Media Engine components, you can't actually deploy and execute the application. It's with the 2.4 release that you can download the Designer as well as the server components so you can build and test apps.

While the CUAE download will be free, the VMWare image with CCM 6.0 should cost on the order of hundreds of dollars. The VMWare image will only be available for CCM 6.0.

Along with you, I wish you could get your hands on the entire environment now! Some things just take time though (something I myself have to be reminded pretty often =P).

Seth

RaidelBatista Thu, 03/08/2007 - 10:29

Hi, I'm new and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for a JSP example of an Intercom Application with cisco phone ip services, currently I see only an ASP example out there.

secall Thu, 03/08/2007 - 10:57

Hi Raidel,

This is the right forum, however, this particular thread is for questions about the CUAE. What you are referring to is a more traditional IP Phone SDK application example.

I personally don't have experience with the IP phone SDK...

Seth

secall Thu, 03/08/2007 - 11:08

live4voip,

The CUAE has the ability to place calls using H.323, SIP, SCCP, and CTI.

It would be straightforward to build a 'callback service' application assuming only that you had a CallManager and PSTN access through your CallManager deployed.

Seth

RaidelBatista Thu, 03/08/2007 - 11:12

Could you point me in the right direction or the right person ? Appreciate it.

msabir Thu, 03/08/2007 - 11:04

I have been able to download all three - designer, server and media engine. However, when I tried to install it, it says I need Windows 2000 or 2003 server. I am running Windows XP Pro. Looks like I need a VMWare of Win2K :(

secall Thu, 03/08/2007 - 12:11

msabir,

that will not work unfortunately. The 2.3.1 installers you have are incremental patches on a 2.3.0 install (and you can't get the 2.3.0 install unless you paid for it). Those patches are just for customers who are running the CUAE in production and have paid for it.

It's in 2.4 that we make the CUAE freely available for development purposes.

Seth

dupree1952 Fri, 03/09/2007 - 05:01

Hi, I am trying to figure out how the callback feature, if thats what it is, works or is configured. A user called an ext. and it was busy. A few minutes later a message was on the display saying the ext. was free now did he want to continue or something like that. I cant find anything on how this works or is set up. Is it Call Manager or Unity? thanks for your help.

secall Fri, 03/09/2007 - 06:51

Dupree1952,

I don't know if CallManager or Unity can do that out of the box. The only means by which I know how to do that is to build an application on the CUAE...

Seth

leandrotyl23 Fri, 03/09/2007 - 10:47

Hi everyone. My company just acquired all the CTI software for integrate this new technologies with an existing own product that we developed. I?ve started a couple of test with the CTI OS server using the CIL component (using the Java version of the component) and I have a big problem. The thing is that we?ve developed a BIG back end application to integrate other company products with CTI. Now the company wants to try this CISCO solution. The big idea of this entire project, is to make all INTERFACES with any kind of technology (Cisco, etc...), so in the future we can install any of them. So the scenario is: I want ONE SESSION OBJECT  MULTIPLE AGENT OBJECTS. I log in the Agent1 (so far so good), I change the STATUS to Ready? then another agent wants to login so when is just call the ?SetAgent? method to attach another agent object to the same SESSION object Agent1 loose his connection and changed the state to NotReady. Do you have any possible scenario?? Working with more session increase the THREADS on the CPU (we are talking about 200 or more agent working at the same time, and the CIL creates 3 per session object)

Regards,

LHT

Actions

This Discussion