cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP to external sound card interface.

m-ketchum
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that wants to interface his VoIP network with a PC via the PC's sound card input. This is to support transcribing software (Dragon) that is hosted on the PC. He wants his lab techs to be able to dial into the PC, dictate their notes, and then hang up. The PC cannot host both the Dragon and voice software...that we know of without conflicting.

I proposed a second PC colocated running NetMeeting w/auto answer and an h.323 dial-peer in the CME router pointing at the netmeeting PC...PC's connected via sound cards, but the client doesn't like the idea of using a second PC.

Is there anything else out there that I can use instead of a second PC? Is there such a thing as an h.323 or SIP end point that has an output jack for sound?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There is a guy that makes an adapter for the headset jack. You might be able to wing it with that.

ciscoheadsetadapter.com Some radio shack components and you are set!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So this is odd, but you could do this.

Setup a 7940 near the PC and in CCM setup of PLAR. (basically an interom when dialed) The speaker on the IP phone auto turns on from PLAR, you have a MIC next to the PC with the Dragon software running. You could if you want, use PC anywhere or some remote desktop software to manage the dragon software, or just leave it running. When the PC hears the person over the speaker phone, it should start doing the Speach to Txt... correct?

Thanks for the reply. In theory that should work if the audio quality is preverved between the speaker and mic. I'll certainly give it a shot.

I also wonder if there is a way to make the IP phones auto answer and send audio to the headset jack? Shoot, I guess I could even hack up a 7940 and connect the speaker wires in the phone to a mic plug to connect to the sound card input. Levels and impedance might be an issue, but would be fun to try.

There is a guy that makes an adapter for the headset jack. You might be able to wing it with that.

ciscoheadsetadapter.com Some radio shack components and you are set!

Very cool...thanks! Question though, what about the auto-answer? I would need the phone to auto answer and still send audio to the headset adapter.

if it auto answers on speaker or headset, it should send audio automatically. Look up "PLAR" and it will go in detail how to set this up.

cheers

Thanks for your help. I found a fuction that came out in CME 4.0 that should work well with the headset adapter. It's called "headset auto-answer".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806a8318.html#wp1075603

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: