Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity - tracing a user's activity

jsbach2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've been asked to pinpoint when/if a specific action was performed in Unity (deleting a message) and furthermore, which phone was used to perform the action (the mailbox is shared by multiple people).

The Unity Subscriber Message Activity Report clearly shows when the action took place, but it doesn't show the Caller ID of the phone used to perform the action. Is there a way to find out what phone was used for accessing the Unity system?

Thanks in advance!

JSB

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi JSB,

I think the only way to pinpoint which phone did this (if you really want to ?) would be to use CCM. Here is an example that shows tracing 911 calls but you could use the Unity Port # or Pilot #

Using SQL Queries to Search the Call Detail Record with Cisco CallManager

Search for Calls Made to a Specific Number

In some situations, you might need to find out the extension which called 911 on a specific date. Complete these steps in order to search for calls made to a specific number such as 911.

In order to search for calls that are made to a specific number, you can run a different query.

For example, if you want to look for calls to 911 you can enter the query select * from CallDetailRecord where finalcalledpartynumber='911'.

The bottom of the page displays all the entries in the CDR that have the final called party number equal to 911.

Add a date to this query in order to refine it.

For example, for all calls to 911 after August 1st, 2003, run the query select * from CallDetailRecord where finalcalledpartynumber='911' and datetimeconnect > '1059696000'.

The bottom of the page displays all the entries in the CDR that have the final called party number equal to 911 made after August 1st, 2003. '1059696000' is the universal time in seconds for August 1st, 2003.

In order to see who calls 911, run the query select callingpartynumber from CallDetailRecord where finalcalledpartynumber='911'.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00801d71c5.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I know that CDR would basically show who called into Unity at what times, but if there are multiple users in Unity at that particular time, you can't really pinpoint who did the erasing, unless there's a way to tell which user was logged into which particular mailbox. Besides, for all we know, a user could access a mailbox from any phone, not just their own.

I don't think there's a way to get more accurate than that (other than using CCM traces, which get overwritten way too soon).

Thanks again!

JSB

Hi JSB,

First off, you are most welcome. I am always hesitant to get involved with these type of searches as they are almost never beneficial to those involved. If it were for some sort of Legal issue - MAYBE. But, like you said you could always use someone elses phone :(

I never wanted to be the Phone/Voicemail police!

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: