Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question on the username and privilege levels

These are the commands

username jason level5 password Jas0n

enable secret ***

privilege mode all level5 show

Q1. Can we use different enable secret for differnet levels on the same router to give access to different users?

Q2. When I login to the router enable mode i use the username of Jason and my password, so will that automatically out me level5 mode?

Thx for the help

Jason

2 Replies 2

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

Yes you can. For "enable secret level x somepass", you need to enter "enable x" and use the password associated with that level.

or you can use the "username jason level 5 password Jas0n" for intial login to the router. You can configure your lines (con, aux, vty, line ...) to require a login username/password. When you login with a privilige level > 1, you are immediately in enable mode where you can excute commands associated with your level plus all lower level commands.

bjw
Level 4
Level 4

Jason, In your example, your Jas0n password will log you right into enable mode. The Enable secret password would be like a back door for someone who logged in with less than enable-level privileges, to be able to get to enable mode with an extra login step.

Check out this doc and you should get it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800ca7cd.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: