cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Issues: Packetshaper or Cisco IOS?

imuonagor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I work in a company with about 100 branches. We've been having congestion issues that has made us increase bandwidth on most of our branch links. I read about packetshaper and how it helps avoid bandwidth upgrade by reserving a specific bandwidth size for key traffic etc. I'm wondering, is there a way to do this with cisco ios? Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Need to know the following;

1. How does the branches connects to main office? Plain Internet, Internet + IPSEC, Internet +IPSEC/GRE, Plain Private WAN, Private WAN + IPSEC, Private WAN + IPSEC/GRE? If there is IPSEC or IPSEC/GRE, where thus IPSEC configured, router or firewall?

2. How does the main office and branch office network is setup? i.e. router<->firewall<->switch

3. What is the router model and IOS for the main office?

4. What are the most important traffic? i.e. mail, ftp, http. Most corporation the most important is mail. Put some number to tell which is most important to less important

Item 1 and 2 can be presented in a simple network diagram.

Need a proper placing for shaping, therefore those questions above are necessary to determine where to place the shaping. It depends on what you currently have, and sometimes what are you planning to do/have in the near future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: