cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 5505 console connection...

anarchyx67
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 5505's with one Sup. III module each. I can't get either 5505 to communicate via the console port at all. The PC shows the Com port is connnected, but no matter what, I get no communication with the switches.

Is there something different about doing this on a 5505 than. say, a 1924? Also, how do you do a factory reset? Does the reset button come into play? Could that help me get console communication with the switches?

Thanks!!

10 Replies 10

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

Are you using the correct console cable?

Are your com: parameters set correctly? The default for cisco equipment is 9600:8:N:1:None.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008010ff7a.shtml#connectcat5000superengineIII

Hi,

I do have the com port settings set to 9600:8:N:1:None as I would for other Cisco routers/switches. No go.

I am using a standard Cisco console cable, but when the link you sent says to use a "straight-through" cable, are they talking about something different? Would using a "straight-through" cable

The prob is too, if these switches have been altered from the default com port settings, then I can't tell and might be fighting a losing battle. If I can find out how to do a factory reset of the switch then I could assure myself of what the com port settings are set to.

Thoughts?

Appreciate the response!

The 5500 do no use the "standard" rolled console cable (which is wired pin 1 to pin 8, pin 2 to pin 7, etc.)they need a cable wired straight through (i.e. pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin2, etc)

I typically use a plain old CAT5 ethernet cable to connect to a conslole port on the 5500's

Then that's probably my issue. I need to find a local shop in KC that sells RJ45 to DB9 adapters so that, instead of using the Cisco console cable, I would use a true cat5 cable. I'll give that a shot. Thanks all!!

I suggest you sort out the cable problem first. Usually, if the cable is correct but the line settings are not, you'll see some garbled output. When that happens, you can change settings (baud rate first) until you see something legible.

Understood. Like I'd said, I'm comfortable with console connections and port settings, as I've configured other models successfully. But I also know that the settings can be majorly changed on the switch, making it appear you can't get a connection. I'm sure it's just me using the wrong cable.

Thanks!

Ok, I bought the DB9 to RJ45 adapter. Wired it the way the diagram online shows for a straight through cable. Still no connection to the console on two different 5505 switches. I'm thinking now that either I have the adapter pinouts wrong, or else I still need to reset the switches .

Help help!

Carl

Here is another document for the 5500 recovery. There is no mention of a "factory reset" procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml#cat5k2

What happens when you try to telnet into the switch?

I don't get any response trying to connect to the switch. As far as telnet specifically, I am not sure what the config is set to and it doesn't seem to allow a telnet connection .

I reviewed the link you gave, and again the core issue is not even being able to get a CLI prompt period. So, no way to issue commands.

When I bought the DB9 to RJ45 adapter, I pinned it to match the pinout diagram that would be for a standard Cat5 network cable to DB9 connection. So, that should be good. Yet, from two different PCs, nothing. Hyperterminal shows the Com port is connected but I get no communication from the switches at all.

It's got to be a communication prob, because of the inability to get a CLI.

wearn1
Level 1
Level 1

I too had the same problem, I resolve it by using a straight through ethernet cable and adapter to usb serial interface and under console interface, the console listing came up after using putty  com3 and xon/xoff setting. Hope this helps... you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card