RIPv2 - Default Info Originate

Unanswered Question
Feb 24th, 2007

I ran into some contradicting information while studying for the R&S lab exam using the CCIE R&S book by Wendell Odom. It involves the RIPv2 and the default-information originate command. I'm wondering if maybe this changed with v12.4 mainline ???

The book states that if you use the default-information originate cmd with RIP, it will NOT inject a default route IF you have a static default route in your routing table.

So I set this up in a lab, running 12.4 on all my routers. I have a static default route in my routing table, yet when I configured the default-information originate cmd under rip, it still injects a default route.

After configuring both the redistribute static command and the default-info originate to advertise equal metrics for both of the default-routes, RIP seems to prefer the redistributed static default route over the default-info orignate default route.

default-info originate is easier to use because I don't have to filter other static routes.

Would this be an acceptable configuration for RIP using IOS v12.4 on the CCIE R&S lab exam?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tperrier Sun, 02/25/2007 - 07:03

> I'm wondering if maybe this changed with v12.4 mainline ???

12.3 behaves the same way, 'default-information originate' originates with or without static default already in the router.

IMHO, if it works, it works, so don't worry about that. I won't when I take the lab next month. :)

Actions

This Discussion