cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Sup2 Module in Cat 6506

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

The Sup2 module in slot 1 failed and slot 2 became active. I replaced the Sup2 module in slot 1. Everything looks Ok and it appears that the CAt OS and IOS images have synched as well. But I don't like the output of the SHOW MODULE command now because it males me feel that the SUP2 modules both are not identical.

7 Replies 7

astanislaus
Level 2
Level 2

WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 is the new module in slot 1 that I just put in and it looks identical when I compared with the failed module from slot 1 in terms of components and layout but the failed module in slot 1 front panel says WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE and this is also what the active sup2 in slot 2 also says on the front panel.

The new module - WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 which I put in slot 1 initially said version 8.4(1) but after a few minutes of working it said 8.1(1) which is the same as the active module in slot 2.

The MSFC2 versions also became the same - 12.1(19)E1.

Should everything work OK?

My customer is worried that the Sup2 I put in slot 1 doesn't say WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE which is what it used to before this failure happened today.

Also in the config I do not see teh command

SET SYSTEM HIGHAVAILIBILTY/ So how did the Cat OS and IOS on MSFC2 images then synched.

Pleas also point me to any document that explains this clearly. I have looked at dozens of documents and my question is still unanswered.

Could you post a few more logs?

show system highavailability

Have you checked your config for the command set system highavailability versioning enable ? If it is disabled the image sync would take place automatically.

The document you could also refer would be http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807714cb.shtml#Hybrid

WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 is a Supervisor Engine 2,256 MB of DRAM, dual 1000BASEX Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) uplinks, fabric-enabled1, Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF), enhanced quality-of-service (QoS) features, Policy Feature Card 2 (PFC2), and MSFC2. Factory ships with 256 MB on Supervisor 2 and 256 MB of DRAM on MSFC2

Check this link both are recognized as sup 2 http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801c0eb0.shtml

But there is a difference check the above link for this.

Not sure about what you are using.

Have you tried bringing the slot 1 as active. Also is config sync happening?

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if i have helped :)

Hoogen,

Thanks for your valuable information. How can I tell if config sync is happening. What command?

So is my switch all OK and do I need to worry about the different sup2 in slot 1 which is new module compared to the working sup2 module in slot 2.

Well as of now it looks like your config sync is disabled. You could look at your config by doing show config 1 and show config 2. Do some changes and see if it is replicating.

Do a show system highavailability command.

The two commands which should be present in your config is

set system highavailability enable

set system highavailability versioning enable

To confirm there is no mismatch post the show version 1 show version 2 output. I think there is a difference on the RAM thats all between your sup.

Cheers

Hoogen

Hoogen,

I am going to site again. I will get all the information that you have asked. Definetely there is not Set system highavailabilty and Set system highavailabilty versioning enable commands. But do you really need the second command if the customer wants the same versions running on both Sup2. I agree that you need the first command. I will get all the details today. Thanks again.

The second command ensure that your image doesn't do synchronization, when you enable it sync doesn't happen. If you disable it automatically default 120 sec sync will happen.

Also do remember for the redundanccy in MSFC we need to check if there is SRM or DRM configured, and see if redudancy is happening on the MSFC card too.

Cheers

Hoogen

Hi

I don't think you need to worry about the different module in the show mod command.

From the Cisco doc on hardware requirements for 6500 redundancy

"The Supervisor engine, the routing engine, and the forwarding engine models must be the same on both modules for redundancy to be supported"

As you can see from the link Hoogen posted the Sup Engine, msfc and pfc are exactly the same ie.

WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE + WS-F6K-PFC2 + WS-F6K-MSFC2 = WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2

WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 + WS-F6K-PFC2 + WS-F6K-MSFC2 = WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2"

"

I think as Hoogen says it is down to the memory on the MSFC card.

Cisco do make it quite hard to find this info sometimes !

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco