Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to log message from cisco router to syslog server

rajesh_colt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am unable to log syslog message from remote router to my syslog server. I wanted to know wheather any firewall ports need to be opened . some of the remote routers traffic passing through firewall and some of them not . I am able to get syslog message from my gateway router but not from any of the remote routers.I wanted to know wheather any services need to be started. All my routers are hardened except my gateway router from I am getting syslog messages. I am using 3csyslog version 1.0. . Expecting help ASAP

5 Replies 5

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to open UDP port 514 (syslog) incoming (from router to syslog server).

Source: router_ip_address (ip address of the source-interface)

Destination: syslog_server_ip_address

Port: UDP 514

For router, its best to configure the source interface (recommended loopback interface);

!

logging source-interface router_interface_number

logging server_ip_address

Can u explain in detail...because i configured this ...but still it is not working ....my remote routers still not able to log messages to my syslog server...but this routers are giving stats to the MRTG on the same server where my syslog server is configured...pls help..

Rajesh,

Please paste the router configuration.

-amit singh

Please paste the following;

- router config (don't change the IP Address)

- firewall rule

- logs from firewall if available

Hi all,

the problem is resolved, By mistake I was giving every routers fast ethernet ip in syslog server. when i given particular serial interface ip in syslog server..which is connecting a central router. it started getting message from the routers.

thanks all for ur suggestions...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card