Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring LWAPP AP

Hello,

I've recently migred all of my AP to LWAPP+ WLC.

I think that WCS server is very bad for monitoring (no good summary, no associated client per AP etc....) and want to continu e to monitor my AP via cacti. My questions are the following :

1. Is it possible to monitor my LWAPP AP via SNMP

2. If yes, how to proceed? Actually I can't telnet/ssh my AP (connection refused).

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Best regards,

Vincent

5 Replies 5

brispin
Level 1
Level 1

WCS is a very good tool for managing LWAPP solution. There is no other monitoring tool which will give you complete information and management features for LWAPP solution. For detailed information on WCS read http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806b7270.html#wp1131195

Well I already have a WCS, but for me this monitoring tool is is not enough. This is why I want to monitor the controller or LAP directely via snmp.

Hi Guys,

We are also looking into ways to manage configs and keep inventory of WLCs/LAPs and to monitor them. We already use Tivoli NetView for monitoring and CiscoWorksfor inventory keeping and config management/backup etc and would like to integrate WLCs/LAPs into our existing setup. We also have some autonomous APs that we monitor/manage by our existing infrastructure. We may still upgrade our existing WLSE (not used at the moment) to WCS but want to keep using our existing system for the lightweight stuff as well. This question must have been posed lots of times before but I can't find any mention of it anywhere on Cisco site let alone any solution. Could somebody help please? Thanks!

All,

Have you looked at AirWave's AMP product? This has extensive reporting and monitoring capabilities for IOS and LWAPP APs, much more than the WCS, which is really a good configuration tool and not much else.

www.airwave.com

laaustin
Level 1
Level 1

Bear in mind that this architecture implements some functions in the AP itself and others in the controller. Thus you must interact with both components to gain enough context to administer the system. The controller provides the interface through command line or SNMP (most functions) that allows complete administration capability. So you can look into SNMP-based products - commerical and otherwise, that can use the Cisco-supplied MIB in some form.

Now, WCS offers the distinct advantage that it knows of context for the individual SNMP operations; Airwave also offers benefits because it was designed to manage wireless systems (multiple vendors products). They both use SNMP to communicate and manage the system.

We're looking to augment our installation with some of the open source tools that we already use on our wired network...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: