cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 ISR 4ESW Vlan intergration

Keith Alman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have 2811 ISR where i am creating sub interface vlans on the routing ports. i have inserted an 4ESW module where i would like those sub interface vlans to terminate. Is there a way of getting getting data out of a subinterface vlan and foward it to a vlan created in the 4ESW module (without the use of irb bridging)?

Thanks

Thanks

2 Replies 2

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

If I understood correctly:

- You have VLANs on L2 switches

- You are using the 2811 port(s) to route between them (router-on-a-stick).

- Now you have setup VLANs on the 4ESW and you want to route between these VLANs and the above without using irb.

If the above is correct, then I think you should be able to. I have never tried it and don't have the 4ESW module to try it in the lab. I tried a "thought experiment" but it didn't work :-)

To use the switch modules you create the layer 2 vlans in the vlan datatbase , then you create a layer 3 SVI's to handle the layer 3 end of things like you would on any other l2/3 switch . You would not use subinterfaces if you are going to try and route on the switchports , don't believe addresses are allowed on the switchpoirt interfaces you must use SVI's then put the switchports into that vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: