cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote ping

b.hofmann
Level 1
Level 1

How can i configure a remote ping on a router? What are the minimum configuation steps for this. Can i do this with a command line, or do i need a tool like response time reporter. Is there a document which explains the steps? How can i get the collectet values on, in my case openview.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Take a look at the rttMonStatsCaptureTable. This table will be indexed by your operation number (1003 in this case), the start time of the operation, the path index (1 in the case of an icmp-echo), the hop index (1 in the case of an icmp-echo), and the dist index (1 in the case of an icmp-echo). This table represents a sum of stats over a 60-minute period.

To get the round-trip response time for the latest operation, just do an SNMP GET on rttMonLatestRttOperCompletionTime.1003.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

IP SLA is definitely one of the best ways to go. You have both a CLI and an SNMP interface for configuring the operation, and reporting on the result. There are tools such as Cisco's Internetwork Performance Monitor as well as Concord's NetHealth, InfoVista, and even Open Source tools like Smoke Ping that can process IP SLA data.

The easiest way to configure an IP SLA ICMP echo operation is from the CLI like:

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 10.1.1.1

frequency 60

threshold 5

timeout 50

ip sla schedule 1 start-time now life forever

Of course, this CLI assumes the router is running 12.4T. Other releases require slightly different CLI commands. See http://www.cisco.com/go/ipsla for more information on the feature.

The other way to configure a remote ping is to use the CISCO-PING-MIB. This can only be done via SNMP using SNMP SET requests:

snmpset -v 1 -c private 10.1.1.1 ciscoPingProtocol.333 i 1 ciscoPingAddress s a:1:1:2 ciscoPingOwner.333 s "marcus" ciscoPingEntryStatus.333 i 4

This will trigger a five packet ping from 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.2. The packet size will be 100 bytes, and the timeout will be two seconds. To get the result of the ping, just poll ciscoPingReceivedPackets, ciscoPingMinRtt, ciscoPingSentPackets, ciscoPingAvgRtt, and ciscoPingMaxRtt. ciscoPingCompleted will be true once the ping completes.

I found the snmpset command very interesting. When i use this command, will it executed once or will it executed serveral times? What means the value 333, is this the serial number for a specific measurement? If the command repeats, how can i stop the measure?

These SETs will execute one ping operation. By default, that consists of five ICMP packets spaced zero milliseconds apart with a default size of 100 bytes.

The 333 is arbitrary. This can be any number < 2^31-1. It must be unique.

If you do a large extended ping, you cannot interrupt the operation. You must wait for it to complete on its own.

We are using IOS 12.2, can i use the commands above, or do i need specific IOS versions, or must i first enable the sla functions.

When i try the snmpset command on HP openview machine, i must use integer for i. But i get an error when i try to use ciscoPingOwner octetstring "marcus" Badly formed or unknown variable "ciscoPingOwner.333". Or must i use older commands for this?

IP SLA has nothing to do with the PING-MIB. However, the IP SLA commands I listed with not work on 12.2. Instead of "ip sla" you will need to use "rtr".

As for the snmpset, if you are not setting all of the objects in the same packet, you must first set ciscoPingEntryStatus.333 to 5 (createAndWait), then when you've set the protocol, address, and owner, set ciscoPingEntryStatus.333 to 1. You should also prefix all of this by setting ciscoPingEntryStatus to 6 which will destory any row that currently exists. If you do not do this, and row 333 already exists, you will get errors.

Now i can get values from snmp when i configure the ping mib, i see results under the mib tree.

But i must restart the measure for example all minute. Can i set the system with rtr commands. that it does every minute a ping, and fills the ping mib fields, so i can poll this values with a mib browser. Or can you send me an example for

the basic configuration with rtr commands.

The example I listed in my first post would do a ping every 60 seconds continuously. Just replace the "ip sla" bits with "rtr". The MIB for RTR/SAA/IP SLA is the CISCO-RTTMON-MIB. The table that will be of most use to you is rttMonLatestRttOperTable.

I have configured this, but can i get time values with the mib browser, or can i only define threshold. Is there a description available for this, which explaint which values is must set, and what values i can get.

What exactly have you configured, and what objects are you now trying to poll? If you've configured the operation via the CLI you do not need to set anything using an SNMP utility. You can simply poll the objects corresponding to your operation number.

I have configured the following

rtr 1003

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho ADRESS

timeout 200

threshold 10

rtr schedule 1003 life forever start-time now

and would like to see the responestime in the mibvalues, but i didn?t find a value which tell me the time, or should there really be a value which i not see.

Take a look at the rttMonStatsCaptureTable. This table will be indexed by your operation number (1003 in this case), the start time of the operation, the path index (1 in the case of an icmp-echo), the hop index (1 in the case of an icmp-echo), and the dist index (1 in the case of an icmp-echo). This table represents a sum of stats over a 60-minute period.

To get the round-trip response time for the latest operation, just do an SNMP GET on rttMonLatestRttOperCompletionTime.1003.

steve.busby
Level 5
Level 5

You can configure IPSLA from the command line. Here's the 12.4 Mainline Configuration Guide with specific examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_book09186a008043be2d.html

HTH

Steve

Just ensure you dont use sup720's and 12.2(18) below SXF5 or you'll crash it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: