Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Channel vs EtherChannel

waridtel.com
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what is the difference between a Port Channel and an Etherchannel.

Best Regards,

Rahim Amir Ali

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

An etherchannel bundles individual physical links into one logical link to increase the total bandwidth. It also seen as one link by Spanning tree algorithms.

A port channel is the logical representation of the etherchannel on the switch. Once you have configured an etherchannel you make all you changes on the port channel interface and these will be automatically applied to all the individual interfaces within the etherchannel.

HTH

Jon

Hi,

Can you refer to any link on cisco that describes the difference.

Best Regards,

Rahim Amir Ali

Hi

Here is a link for understanding and configuring etherchannel on the 6500 switches. Don't worry too much about it being for the 6500, the same principles apply on other switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e6d3.html

HTH

Jon

Hi, sorry if i go a little bit off-topic about this but here i can read :

It also seen as one link by Spanning tree algorithms.

And this is also what i should expect looking at official documentaion.

However i'm experiencing a strange behaviour with a PortChannel , a bundle of 2 GE, in trunk mode in wich when 1 of the two interface goes down SPT is recalculated for each VLAN allowed on the trunk.

Cheking both ends of the Port Channel i see that on one side i've got "switchport mode trunk" while on the other there is not. Checking interface status i see that trunk is working , obviously , but on one side is in

Administrative Mode: dynamic desirable

Operational Mode: trunk (member of bundle Po110)

while on the other side is both "trunk".

can be this the problem?

Bye

Francesco

What models of switch are at either end of this etherchannel? IOS? CATOS?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card