cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1800 Series and GRE tunnelling

drumrb0y
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have solid documentation that an 1811 Security Router can be configured as a GRE tunnel headend device? I've yet to locate a definite 'yes' in the documentation I have.

Thanks,

Marc

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marc

I do not have any 1811s so I can not speak from experience. But I have used lots of 1841s with a couple of GRE tunnels on each. They work fine. I see no reason why an 1811 would not terminate multiple tunnels. When you talk about it being a head end device, how many tunnels do you anticipate terminating on the 1811?

And are you talking just about GRE or are you talking about GRE with IPSec?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the reply;

I'm talking specifically about GRE with IPSec; I intend only one GRE tunnel (for a multicast video/audio feed) that will send traffic over an existing IPSec tunnel between 1700 routers - unless you would recommend replacing the 1700s with 1811s and having both IPSec and GRE terminate at the same device.

GRE is a new technology to me personally, and while I have several 1700s, I haven't worked with the 1800s yet.

Marc

I am still not sure that I understand your environment and your requirements. You talk about a single tunnel. But then you talk about multiple remote 1700s. Perhaps you can clarify.

The 1800 is a newer, more powerful, more cost efficient router than the 1700. If I were looking at a router purchase I would certainly prefer an 1800 to a 1700. But I do not see anything yet in what you describe that requires replacement of the 1700 with 1800. I have done 1721s with a couple of GRE/IPSec tunnels and they work just fine.

I found a Cisco data sheet on the 1800 series that claims that the 1800 can support up to 50 IPSec tunnels. I would probably lower that figure somewhat if the tunnels are going to be GRE/IPSec. But if the tunnels are not going to be real numerous, then I would think that you would be fine with the 1811 as head end device.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card