Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Question

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

I am in the process of designing a MPLS network. I understand that one router will become the PE, and my ABR will act as the CE. Behind CEs, there are different OSPF areas. However, these different OSPF areas have backup links connecting between them. How do I configure this backup link? Use Virtual link or Sham link or there are other ways? Please let me know. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

See....in this case , you will have to configure 2 virtual links to maintain full recahability between the routers in case of any link failures.

In case the link between PE2 and Router2 fails:-

============================================

One virtual links has to be created in the router configured in Area 2 with Transit area as Area 1 peering with the PE1.PE1 will also have a virtual link with Router2 with transit area as Area 1.

In case the link between PE1 and Router1 fails:-

One virtual link has to be created on Router1 with transit area as Area2 peering with PE2. The PE2 router will have a virtual link with transit area2 peering with Router1.

Keep the backup link on Router 1 & 2 in area 2.

This will work in your case for maintaing the redundany.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ganpatspatil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Pls explain in details what actually u want to say.........

As per my understanding u r haveing backup link between CE's.if this is the case than u have to use Sham-link between PE's for perticular CE.

I can't use Sham Link because Sham Link only works if all areas are the same. Please see my diagram. If my link to PE-2 fails, what do I need to do in order to achieve redundancy through the backup link?

Thanks.

See....in this case , you will have to configure 2 virtual links to maintain full recahability between the routers in case of any link failures.

In case the link between PE2 and Router2 fails:-

One virtual links has to be created in the router configured in Area 2 with Transit area as Area 1 peering with the PE1.PE1 will also have a virtual link with Router2 with transit area as Area 1.

In case the link between PE1 and Router1 fails:-

One virtual link has to be created on Router1 with transit area as Area2 peering with PE2. The PE2 router will have a virtual link with transit area2 peering with Router1.

Keep the backup link on Router 1 & 2 in area 2.

This will work in your case for maintaing the redundany.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card