cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pix in transparent mode

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, i have some servers at work, on the same subnet as my other servers, i want to restrict traffic to 4 of them using a pix, I just want to restrict subnets, my question is would i need to put the pix in transparent mode? and do i need to put ip addresses on both in and outside interfaces on the pix? and if so how would people reach this as i dont want routing invloved as its on the same subnet!

hope you can help

thanks

Carl

5 Replies 5

raju
Level 1
Level 1

Hi carl,

PIX does not support Transparent mode.

Rgds

Raju

Hi Raju

The pix does support transparent mode in version 7.0 upwards. So if you have a pix 515E or better running v7.0 you can do this.

Carl

Yes you can use the pix in transparent mode. The pix will have one IP address for management. You do not need to worry about routing as the hosts and servers are on the same subnet.

Attached is a link for v7.0 transparent configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00807bf3cc.html#wp1201980

HTH

Jon

can i do this with a pix 501 with latest ios?

Carl

Unfortunately no. Pix 501 and Pix 506 do not support v7.0 and transparent firewall functionality is not available in v6.x.

You could look at using vacl's (vlan access-lists) which allow you to resrict traffic between hosts/servers within the same subnet.

HTH

Jon

Hi all, how can I filter traffic to these servers then if I do not have one of these firewalls, the servers are on the same subnet? any ideas what I can do here ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card