Views
Helpful
Replies

External Phone Ringer?

ccthompson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Implemented Cisco Phones for the company about a year ago. Having a problem now where guys in the shop cannot hear them ringing, because of the noise of shop life(grinder, air compressor, ect..).

Anyway, i was wondering if they made an external ringer for Cisco IP phones? They make them for regular phones that just plug into the line before the phone, place them in the shop, then run it back to the phone.

Can anyone help me?

14 Replies 14

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Chad,

You just need an analog port (VG-248,ATA, or router FXS) to connect to the standard external ringer. You can assign the same number to the IP phone and the analog port.

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

we do have a couple ATAs here for fax machines. But i guess, how would i tie it in to just that phone? Make the dial plan forward to it i guess, would that work? Set the ATA up to use the number i want, then this sample under the router:

dial-peer voice "ata number" voip

destination-pattern "ata number"

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:"ip address"

codec g711ulaw

fax rate disable

You must be using CME, my answer assumed Call Manager and SCCP ATAs. Sorry, should have asked that question.

Yes, sorry CM express. Do you think that setup will work?

I think your best bet with CME is to replace the IP phone with an analog phone and use the standard external ringer setup. Your users might not like giving up the nice phone, but I don't think you can have a shared DN between an IP phone and an analog port (ATA or FXS).

My CME experience is limited, so I could be wrong.

Dave

My understanding is that Cisco doesn't support a shared line between CM and an analog device.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chad/Dave,

The first easiest thing would be to try and set the ATA up with the same DN as the IP phone. I can't test this for you as we don't have CME setup right now. If that doesn't work then maybe you could change the DN on the IP phone to something new and assign the current DN to the ATA/Ringer. Put both the IP phone and ATA/Ringer in the same Pickup Group so that when the shop hears the Loud Ringer they could pickup the call from the IP phone. This would require a bit of training but shouldn't be too hard for the staff. It might be easier than trying to take away the nice new phone. I have found that once somebody gets a new Cisco phone, trying to take it away from them is like trying to get blood from a stone :)

Using Call Pickup and Group Call Pickup with Cisco ATA

Most of the procedures for using Cisco ATAs with Cisco Unified CME are the same as those for using Cisco ATAs with Cisco Unified CallManager, as described in the "How to Use Pre-Call and Mid-Call Services" chapter of the Cisco ATA 186 and Cisco ATA 188 Analog Telephone Adaptor Administrator's Guide for SCCP (version 3.0). However, the call pickup and group call pickup procedures are different when using Cisco ATAs with Cisco Unified CME, as described below:

Call Pickup

When using Cisco ATAs with Cisco Unified CME:

To pickup the last parked call, press **3*.

To pickup a call on a specific extension, press **3 and enter the extension number.

To pickup a call from a park slot, press **3 and enter the park slot number.

Group Call Pickup

When using Cisco ATAs with Cisco Unified CME:

To answer a phone within your call pickup group, press **4*.

To answer a phone outside of your call pickup group, press **4 and the group ID number.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note If there is only one pickup group, you do not need to enter the group ID number after the **4 to pickup a call.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806a7ffb.html#wp1059308

Hope this helps!

Rob

Why not just allocate the port on the ATA with the same ephone-dn tag number as the phone & place the external ringer in the normal analogue port on the ATA? It seems the simplest method to me -- KISS (keep it simple stu*$d)

I cant seem to get these to work, and ive made the decision that I cant get them to ring at the same time. Thats fine.

But is there some way to have the dial-peer # voip forward to a ephone-dn after a length of time? I figure there has to be a way, with companies that have small offices and only have old phones. They have to be able to forward them to someone if they need to!

Can someone help me to forward a dial-peer # voip to an ephone-dn?

Thanks!

pbaustin,

I cant seem to get this to work, could you go into more detail?

Have the dial-peer as 7399

Have my ephone-dn as 7399, it only rings the IP phone. Please help.

Hi, once the DN is shared on the ATA and ephone, both should ring at the same time and an extrnal ringer should work.

Do you have the ATA? how it is configured ?

i do have the ATA and tried numerous things.

on the webpage of the ATA, it is set to 7399.

dial-peer voice 7399 voip

destination-pattern 7399

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:ataIPADDRESS

codec g711ulaw

fax rate disable

Then I have the IP phones setup like:

ephone-dn 1

number 7399

and

ephone 1

button 1:1

Mario Garcia
Level 3
Level 3

You can always create a new analog extension. Connect the FXS port to the external ringer. Create a blast group that will ring both the IP phone and the analog phone.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Three years old thread, unlikely the OP is still waiting for an answer.