cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet Redundancy

bfrericks
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question, is anyone aware of any other way to gain Inbound IP as well as line redundancy with carrier diversity without using BGP? Basically if Carrier "A" goes down we want the block of IP's to be routed across Carrier "B" line to us. Ultimatly we want carrier diversity but maintaining a single block of IP's. I only know of BGP to accomplish this....

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Maybe I'm not understanding this, wouldint this be an interior routing ability? What I'm looking for would be at the Internet Edge to provide inbound from the Internet redundency so if carrier a dies, all of my inbound traffice "Automagically" get pushed to Carrier B thus not having to make and DNS or configuration changes.

Yes, this is possible but it's entirely up to the ISP as to whether they can do it or not. You can ask one ISP to advertise your IP block to the Internet always and the other ISP to advertise only when the primary ISP stops advertising your prefix. The second ISP needs to use BGP 'conditional route injection' feature to achieve this. On your end, you can use static routes or PBR to route outbound traffic.

HTH

Sundar

so long story short, the only true way to multi-home ISP's and provide services to the public with a single block of IP's is to use BGP?

I've seen some of the "DNS Doctoring" devices, but that seems rather hoky.

My above posting was based on the assumption that you would use static routes and the provider would use BGP to advertise your IP block. Most, if not all, providers use BGP anyway.

HTH

Sundar

c.alperin
Level 1
Level 1

If you have two routers, and all that you'll be doing is redirecting the Default Gateway I'll recomend to use GLBP with track on the external interfaces. That is out of the BGP incumbency and give you both HA & Load balance on your scenario. Even if you have eBGP going to each one of your providers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card