cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Router for Multiple Fiber Interfaces

tdunlap
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to interconnect five sites that are on an existing fiber ring. Four of the sites, as a minimum, requires two (2) fiber WAN interfaces (call one East the other WEST. There is a final router that will require four (4) fiber WAN connections. What is the best router for this WAN interface?

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

do clarify what kinda output drop you are going to get in your locations ? is it going to be Gigabit Ethernet drop or OC level drop ?

Also are you using any WDM boxes like DWDM or CWDM ?

regds

Thanks for the response. I have researched a little to determine that for the smaller sites I can use the 2851 with a HWIC-1GE-SFP card. I will use this as the East Connection. I will use one of the On board LAN ports for the West connection. See the attached drawing.

I will have to employee media converters to connect the copper ports to the fiber. The other LAN port will be connected to a firewall and 3560 switches for distribution. I think that will solve the primary connectivity issue.

In all cases the drops at each site are 1000T.

So the problem rest with the Site 5 that needs more than two fiber interfaces. They have to be routable. Your comments are welcomed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card