Helpful
Replies

Tags in BGP

hassan_syed6
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Let's say i have 4 routers connected.

10.10.10.0 /24 and 12.12.12.1/24 is on Router # 1 which when i advertise to Router # 2, I only want Router # 2 to advertise 10.10.10.0/24 to Router # 3 and the rest of the networks which it learns from Router #1 sends it to other Routers or to different neighbors. My main goal is to filter the networks so it doesn't get injected into other neighbors and only sends to particular neighbors by using access-list on tags

One way of doing it is if on Router # 1, i create a

route-map set_tagging permit

set tag 5

R# 1

router bgp xxx

network 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 route-map set_ tagging

Now, on Router # 2 when it learns about 10.10.10.0/24, depending on the access-list it forwards only to particular neighbor.

Is there any other way of filtering networks coming in without using the route-map tagging on network...Any idea, not sure if i am clear on this one or not.

Regards,

Hassan

3 Replies 3

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

yes you can filter the network using the Prefix list, as-path accesslist, distribute list... etc...

using prefix list you can allow and deny perticular prefix from advertise to other peer or to receive the update from other peer...

but using AS-Path access-list you can allow or deny to receive route from perticular AS...

regards

Devang

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

go to this link:http://cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ics/icsbgp4.htm

it will clear your all the issue...

regards

Devang

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hassan,

BGP can carry community attributes that would allow you to do the same thing other routing protocols would do using tags. BGP doesn't carry tags in its updates.

You could attach a given community to a routing update on one router and filter based on that same community on another router.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card