cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 IP Phone maximum number of lines

mpozorski
Level 1
Level 1

In our system we have some 7960 IP phones and I have been asked to setup 6 different lines on one of them. Normally this would not be an issue at all as I could just go to the phone and add a line. After adding 4 lines I have found that I cannot add the other 2 lines because according to the template 2 of the buttons on the phone are reserved for speed dial. Is there any way that I can force the phone to let me put 2 new lines on the rather than reservice the buttons for speed dial. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Matthew Bryant
Level 1
Level 1

You need to change the phone button template for that device.

If you have an existing template with six lines, change it to that. You can tell by selecting a template and clicking on view button list. It will show you how it is configured. You can either have lines, speed dials or serivce url's.

If you don't have a template with 6 lines then,

Go to Device Settings > Phone Button Template

and either create a new one or go in and copy and existing and modify it how you want.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed6f4.html

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Absolutely, create a new phone button template with 6 lines and apply it to the phone.

HTH,

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

You will need to create a new Phone Button Template (maybe called 7960 - 6 Line) as described below. Once you have created the new template you can assign it to the phone in question Device>Phone>Button Template>7960-6 Line>Reset and you will see that you have the ability to add 6 lines;

Adding Phone Button Templates

Step 1 Choose Device > Device Settings > Phone Button Template.

The Find and List Phone Button Templates window displays.

Step 2 In the upper, right corner of the window, click the Add a New Phone Button Template link.

The Phone Button Template Configuration window displays.

Step 3 From the Phone Button Template drop-down list box, choose a template and click Copy to create a new template.

The new template exactly duplicates the existing template. You must assign a new name for the new template. Update this new template if you want it to differ from the original.

Step 4 Update the appropriate settings as described below.

Step 5 Click Insert to add the new template.

Step 6 Click the View Button Layout link to verify the button layout.

Phone Button Configuration Settings

Button Template Name

Enter a unique name that Cisco CallManager uses to identify the template.

Feature

Choose the function of the phone button that you want to specify in the template. Available functions include Speed Dial, Line, None, Privacy, and Service URL.

Note You cannot change the function of buttons in default phone button templates.

Label

Enter a description of the button.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed6f4.html#wp1014156

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: Matthew and Chris you are too fast on the draw for this lame-o typist :)

Thank you all so very much. I was looking all over the place for that. I truly appreciate the assistance on this.

Yeah, but I think yours was the most comprehensive, so you deserve the points for this topic.

Nicely done.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for that :) I think I am probably just more verbose.

Thanks Again!

Rob