Views
Helpful
Replies

DiRT Restore error

williamka
Level 1
Level 1

We performed a DiRT backup of the secondary Unity server which is acting

primary. Using the Dirt backup we performed a DiRT restore on Unity server but recieved an error. The

error reads 'The local installation is not clean,some users or other

objects have been added.The restore can only be run on a clean, new install of

Unity. Exiting...'

Does anyone know how to get out of this? I cannot assume all Unity installations are totally clean. Please help if you can.... thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As the help states multiple times, DiRT demands a clean installation to prevent errors such as restoring to the wrong server or tryign to restore over an existing failover server (a no-no) and such - I've seen many disasterous errors from end users in the years since I launched that tool which is whay it's so unflexible on this count. TAC has command line over rides for such situations but as a rule starting with a clean install is always a good idea no matter what. The tool is designed and tested to be used in that situation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As the help states multiple times, DiRT demands a clean installation to prevent errors such as restoring to the wrong server or tryign to restore over an existing failover server (a no-no) and such - I've seen many disasterous errors from end users in the years since I launched that tool which is whay it's so unflexible on this count. TAC has command line over rides for such situations but as a rule starting with a clean install is always a good idea no matter what. The tool is designed and tested to be used in that situation.

Thank you Jeff.... I have since listened to your tutorial and found it to be very well done.

In the instance listed above, this server was rebuilt from scratch including OS and a DiRT restore was previous accomplished to ensure its functionality. Using dirtyrestore we were able to make this primary Unity server functional. Many thanks..