Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Failover again..

chorl0232
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I?m still involved in the deployment of 55 APs with 3 4402 WLCs in different cities, and I?m still having troubles with failover configuration. I configured APs with static IP, and then configured primary, secondary and tertiary WLC address providing full-qualified names. These names are stored in the master and secondary DNS server, and are resolved flawlessy. Ports in firewalls are opened, so I made several tests, all of them without success.

Then, I got one of the AP and entered in debug mode (with serial cable) and found the issue: DNS queries were sent to broadcast IP (255.255.255.255), not unicast to master DNS.

So that?s my question: Is there any way to set DNS resolution in LWAPP APs working with static IP? If I set them to DHCP, with properly DNS address, I can resolve primary, secondary and tertiary WLC to each AP, but in my deployment I?d prefer to use static addressing.

Thank you in advance,

Ignacio Siles

2 Replies 2

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

You said you configured the static IP for the APs, but did you configure the dns server for the APs? I have never used static ip, not sure where you can configure dns server for it.

Also AP use the configured primary, secondary and tertiary controllers information to select which controller to join after received the controllers responses to AP lwapp discovery, not use them to discover controllers. Before AP learns the candidate controllers from dhcp or dns resolution, those primary, secondary and tertiary controller settings are no use to AP.

Now it looks like the AP does not know where is the dns server. Not sure if you configured that correctly.

The last thing, you should set the controllers system name in the primary, secondary and tertiery controllers fields, not the FQDN. If your controllers' FQDN is the same as their system names. It is ok.

Thank you very much,

I didn't know exactly what was primary, secondary and tertiary for, now it's clear to me.

My controller's FQDN is the same as its system name, so I don't expect problems there, but I still have no clue where to configure DNS server information to the APs if they are set with fixed IP.

I'll continue to search more infor about it, thank you again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: