cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7941 phone dialing a randomly saved number

MattNicholls_2
Level 1
Level 1

A few days ago my phone started acting odd. when I dial a number then pick up the handset it doesn't dial the number I just punched it it dials a previously dialed number from a few days ago. I have cleared my placed calls log and made sure that my speed dial does not have that number listed. In fact the speed dial isn't even turned on with this template. Anyone know what might have caused this? I appear to be the only one affected and I am the darn voice guy, sad, I know.

The only things I have played with in the last few days were a new template to allow speed dials but that was unsuccesful and it was never associated with my phone. I also signed into /ccmuser to look at those settings but there is nothing configured there either.

This is probably something easy that I overlooked.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What version of firmware are you using? I would recommend updating to the latest version which you can find here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-7900ser

Brandon

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matt,

When you dial from your phone, lets say 2 different numbers;

1. 221-1750

2. 456-9784

Does it pick the same previously dialled number or 2 different numbers? Just curious :)

It almost sounds like abbreviated dials at work here.

The quickest fix would probably be to delete the phone from CCM and reinstall it. But that would take away all the fun of troubleshooting this most interesting problem.

Let us know,

Rob

oh btw Rob it consistently came back to dialing the same phone number, which wasn't too bad as it was the work place of this woman I was taking to lunch! Guess I am a stalker now, hah!

I would dial an extension say 6860 then pick up the handset and instead of dialing 6860 it would dial the other number 9669xxxx

MattNicholls_2
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for the replies. My service release is 2 not 3 so I am a little short there, going to update this weekend with all the DST stuff. I went and reset the phone during the middle of all of this and now it works fine.

The only thing I can guess is that during my tinkering earlier in the week I applied a change and didn't re-apply the change back to the original. Have a good weekend I know I won't, might spend a little more time trying to get speed dials working though. Guess it is always better to break your own phone rather then someone elses, not counting other IS people that is always fun.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Matt,

Here is some info for the Speedial quest, good luck this weekend. We did our DST changes last weekend and they went fine;

You will need to create a new Phone Button Template (maybe called 7941-1Speed) as described below. Once you have created the new template you can assign it to the phone in question Device>Phone>Button Template>7941-1Speed >Reset and you will see that you have the ability to add 1 Speedial on Line Button #2;

Adding Phone Button Templates

Step 1 Choose Device > Device Settings > Phone Button Template.

The Find and List Phone Button Templates window displays.

Step 2 In the upper, right corner of the window, click the Add a New Phone Button Template link.

The Phone Button Template Configuration window displays.

Step 3 From the Phone Button Template drop-down list box, choose a template and click Copy to create a new template.

The new template exactly duplicates the existing template. You must assign a new name for the new template. Update this new template if you want it to differ from the original.

Step 4 Update the appropriate settings as described below.

Step 5 Click Insert to add the new template.

Step 6 Click the View Button Layout link to verify the button layout.

Phone Button Configuration Settings

Button Template Name

Enter a unique name that Cisco CallManager uses to identify the template.

Feature

Choose the function of the phone button that you want to specify in the template. Available functions include Speed Dial, Line, None, Privacy, and Service URL.

Note You cannot change the function of buttons in default phone button templates.

Label

Enter a description of the button.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed6f4.html#wp1014156

Hope this helps!

Rob

It does help, thank you. One other question though, since I have both my direct line and a group IS line on my 2 line phone if I wanted to enable speed dials (which I hope could relate to multiple instances) I would have to drop one of these lines. Is that correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: