cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 MSFC2 - Router(boot) ?

dclee
Level 1
Level 1

Everytime I power down my 6509 in the lab, my SUP1A card seems to lose its config and boot up in router(boot) mode. My startupconfig does point to the correct image in bootflash: This works fine if I simply reset/reload the MSFC2, however if the 6509 is powered down I have to re add the config.

Any ideas why ?

Dave

10 Replies 10

mshavrov
Level 1
Level 1

Most likely you have incorrect "config-register" value set up. It should be 0x2102.

To change it, go to the configuration mode (config term), change config-register value (config-r 0x2102), exit form the configuration mode (Ctrl-Z), and save the config (wr mem).

You can check current and configured value with "show version" command (it should show something like "config register 0x2101, next reboot 0x2102).

Also, if you have something configured in your startup config, and you don't want to lose it, copy it into the running config before starting all this (copy start run).

Good luck,

Mike

----

PC Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

http://www.headsetadapter.com

b.petronio
Level 3
Level 3

Could u please, give us the result of the command "show bootvar" ?

The working fine reset/reload mode is in the (boot)mode or in normal mode?

Petr?nio

sh bootvar

BOOT variable = bootflash:c6msfc2-ds-mz.121-3a.E4,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2102

If I cycle the power on the 6509 the MSFC on reboot either keeps cycling thru uncompressing image over and over, OR it will go to router(boot) mode. From there I can force a reboot with the correct image and then reload the config. However if I powerdown the chassis, well it is back to square one.

Cheers

Dave

It seems that switch module bootvar is not well configured:

type here the result of the command:

"remote command switch show bootvar"

See if it helps, (Search for Troubleshoot):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a00804ceb07.shtml

or best

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa9.shtml#topic3

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave,

Router(boot) mode is like a safe mode on the MSFC where you have limited access to the commands and can do the basic config.I see that the boot variable is all set correctly and config-register is also set fine. I strongly suspect it to be some IOS/software related problem on the Cat6509. Your IOS seems to be a very old one. If I were you I would have tried upgrading the MSFC to a new/latest IOS.Try loading a new IOS and see if you still have same issue.

-amit singh

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If this a native then the image must be in "supervisor bootflash" not the msfc bootflash to boot correctly or on your flash card which would be either slot0 or disk0 . You then must put in the correct boot statement , "boot system flash sup-bootflash: . If in flash "boot system flash sup-slot0: . And as others have said make sure register is 0x2102 .

jcenters
Level 1
Level 1

Change your "boot system flash bootflash:c6msfc2-ds-mz.121-3a.E4" to "boot system flash bootflash:c6msfc2-ds-mz.121-3a.E4.bin"

Try it with the .bin assuming when you "dir bootflash:" the filename includes .bin

Well I formatted the bootflash, uploaded the software image again and that appears to have fixed the issue.

However the one last problem I have is that after a powerup the config is no longer saved even tho I uploaded it previously and

performed a write memory.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for all the helpdul advice !!!

Cheers

Dave

Dave, paste the "show version" from the switch.

-amit singh

Here is the capture from the MSFC2, after powering up the 6509.

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-DS-M), Version 12.1(3a)E4, EARLY DEPLOYMENT REL

EASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sat 14-Oct-00 06:02 by eaarmas

Image text-base: 0x30008980, data-base: 0x30EE8000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(3r)E2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

BOOTFLASH: MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-BOOT-M), Version 12.1(3a)E4, EARLY DEPLOYMENT

RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 0 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

Running default software

cisco Cat6k-MSFC2 (R7000) processor with 114688K/16384K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID SAD050814C9

R7000 CPU at 300Mhz, Implementation 39, Rev 2.1, 256KB L2, 1024KB L3 Cache

Last reset from power-on

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Virtual Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

509K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

16384K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).

Configuration register is 0x102

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card