Views
Helpful
Replies

Appreciate Fast feedbac, FXO DID issue

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have CME 4.0. I have 5 cards VIC-4 FXO. For DID we have 12 lines (No dial tone from PSTN on this tie lines) and the PSTN is using wink-start signaling.

Problem 1:

Nothing is being received on my routr for the DID ports. I did some research and found that FXO does not support wink-start. However anybody can throw an idea how can I get through this problem? Any work arround or what to use to solve this problem?

Problem 2:

INcomming calls from outside are showing as from "911". Anybody has an idea as well. I don't know if it is the due to a translation rule but if anybody can throw a solution please?

Thanks in advance,

26 Replies 26

rhugo
Level 3
Level 3

Problem 1: You are correct. FXOs don't support Wink-Start. You will have to talk to your provied to determine a different option. Not any workaround that I can think of to get this to work.

Problem 2: If it is a standard POTS line or a 1FB, you will NOT see any caller ID, check with your Telco on what your other service alternatives are.

Hope this helps...

VIC-4FXO does not support DID, VIC2-4FXS/DID does.

To make you life easier, get ISDN BRI instead. Actually, with 10 channels, PRI is also an option.

ISDN: is digital, less ports, easy configuration, caller-ID and DID are embedded, totally standard and easy to use and diagnose. And line are never stuck.

One thing I don't understand why VIC-4FXO does not support DID. Actually, my telco is sending 3 digits, for example 403. If these three digits reach the FXO port the router will know this is for extension 403? Is this right or no?

If I do change the signaling with my provider from wink-start to loop-start would my scenario work or still DID won't reach my internal extensions?

Remark: this is a temproary solution until we get our PRI installed.

Waiting for your feedback,

The reason is because DID is not FXO at all, in fact it is FXS from the point of view of the router.

See this link:

http://www.imecominc.com/downloads/whitepapers/analog_DID.pdf

In short, DID works with the CO doing the role of telephone. When a call comes in, it goes-off hook and it passes the digits via DTMF. Loop current must be supplied by the user.

So even if I fix the signaling problem with my Teclo this won't solve the problem?

How come this was working on their OLD PBX system?

What if I get these DIDs from the old PBX system and not from the Telco? So that the PBX will act like a translator gets the digits from the telco on the CO trunk and then passes it to an analog line connected to my FXO?

Waiting for your feedback,

Thanks,

Since I won't see any caller-id then why I get the call from "911"?

Appreicate your feedback,

Regards,

I'm a bit confused about the caller-id you mention.

First you said that the DID lines, connected to VIC-4FXO are not working, neither incoming or outgoing calls. Is this correct, or these are partially working ?

Second, on which telephone / lines are you receiving '911' ? How is the voice port configured, and the router in general ?

If you leave the DID lines connected to the PBX, and connect the CME to PBX's extension via FXO ports, then yes, the PBX will do "conversion" and route the call to appropriate line, at this point using connection plar you should be able to route in turn to a given ephone.

Hello,

Sorry for missleading you. Actually, I have 12 ports from CO (Using Wink-start and they do not generated dial tone). These lines are used only for DID. What happens is that the Telco sends me the last three digits of the call.Example if somebody from outside calls 6138765431 I will receive 431 on the router and not the complete number. THese lines are not used for outbound calling. This procedure is working on their old PBX system.

I have another 8 lines where the CO generates a tone on these lines. These lines afe used for inbound and outbound calling. When I dial the pilot number 1-800-xxxxxxxx the call directly goes to the operator and shows from "911".

I hope this clarifies my scenario and really appreciate your time,

Regards,

Ok, I see now.

The DID lines, we discussed above, the best thing is get PRI, on which you can have your 800 number eventually routed too.

For the regular lines, can you send voice-port configuration, and the output of "debug vpm signal" when receiving a call?

Also, if you have a phone with caller-id handy, you can connect to one of these lines, and check what caller-id it shows, if any.

Actually today is Sunday and tomorrow I shall be able to get the debug. But since you understand how is my DID working by the teclo sending only three digits, if I do set loopstart signaling with my Telco will the DID on FXO(As per my scenario) work or not?

Thanks,

No it won't work. As I said before, the hardware on FXO port do not support DID lines. If you read the link that I had included above, you will understand why.

Thanks I appreciate your feedback. I guess i am left with one option which is to get analog liines from the old PBX to my FXO until I get the PRI in.

Thanks Again,

You have another option which may or may not be acceptable to you:

1. Use 4FXS/DID analog ports. This will give you inbound DID but you lose outbound capability. So you will need the FXO ports for outbound calling. The only other "cheap" option that supports inbound DID with caller ID and DOD is the BRI interfaces.

2. You are seeing the 911 caller ID because you have have a 911 dial-peer configured and incoming calls are matching that dial-peer. I recommend that you create another dial-peer with "incoming-called ." without a destination patter configured. This dial-peer will be your "dedicated" dial-peer leg for all inbound calls to match against.

Make sense?

Clarification on #2, if you don't have the vic-4FXO-m, then you don't have CLID capability. You would need the VIC-4FXO-m or the VIC2.

So, given your condition, you can still configure your voice-port and assign a name to it via "station-id name" or "station-id number".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: