cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Voice Antenna Design

jcowtan
Level 1
Level 1

I have to survey a large hall for wireless coverage to support Voice. The internal structure does not provide support posts in one large area. The free standing area is ~180 x 100 feet. The ceiloing is 30 to 40 feet.

How do I design redundant coverage using 802.11b/g?

Higher gain antennas from the ceiling, it seems would result in too much channel overlap.

Ideas?

3 Replies 3

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

Higher gain antennas definitely is not a good solution. How about seeting up APs on the corners of the buildings and restricting the power on each AP so that there is no interference.

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

What about yagis (ceiling, pointing downard) ? You could solve the overlap issue with their coverage pattern... I use hem in this kind of scenario and it could work, even if the distance is short. You would probably have to work on transmit power also...

I was able to provide redundant coverage with three patch antennas. Seems the 2.2 dbi dipoles I was surveying with were faulty!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card