cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

software to monitor server vs network

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, is there any software that can do this, ie prove to someone it is a server issues not a network issue?

5 Replies 5

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Which particular problem?

for example users are moaning the web server is running slow, i want to monitor response time from server vs network

First, you should be monitoring port bandwidth utilization and errors, cpu and memory utilization of all network devices plus logging into a syslog server so that you have historical data to work with whenever theres a network problem occur.

After checking from your network monitoring tools that network is not the bottleneck, then you can show and justify to everybody specially the server admin that network is not the bottleneck. It's common to people to point to the network as the culprit whenever the connection is slow or something is not accessible. You need to provide proof to prove otherwise. Take note that throughput is first controlled in the application level.

For my case, I monitor from switch, router, firewall, load balancer, server, web, dns, ldap, radius, smtp, mail, ftp, even the monitoring tools. I monitor the following; bandwidth, cpu, memory, swap/page file, disk/partition, routing, uptime/downtime, latency, interface errors, services, login, etc.. that's why when something wrong happens, I'm able to quickly find the root cause or the source of the problem.

can you tell me what tools you use for this ?

cheers

You can use MRTG, for the uptime/downtime there are many commercial software like WhatsUp and Big Brother. Kiwi for syslog

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card